How early in pregnancy can temperament change?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

Before I got Addie she was with a male for a few weeks. If she did get pregnant then the kits would be due May 29 until June 17. She has only gained about 60 grams since I got her. I put her with another male April 28. About a week or so ago I noticed that her temperament had changed. She was kacking and spraying, things she had never done before. To avoid her from hurting my male and other female she was caged with I took her out. I keep checking her nipples but there is no change and also no weight gain. I am still hoping that she could be pregnant from the first male, but it isn't looking to positive. The only symptom now being grumpiness. If she isn't, then I am wondering how early in pregnancy can a chin start having mood swings? I am really hoping that her grumpiness is due to pregnancy because she was so sweet before and it would be sad if this were a permanent thing.

It can happen at any time. Hormones start changing hours after getting pregnant so I wouldn't be surprised if it changed. I haven't had personality change due to being prego but I've seen it change due to new cages, cage mates, or age.

Some chins get super hormonal just from being in heat. They can get moody or more aggressive even at that time. Pregnancy can change how a female will act...sometimes they end up being more friendly or calmer, but sometimes they get moody and aggressive and impatient. Any hormonal changes that come about from being pregnant or in heat can cause some changes in how the girls will behave.

I have 2 bvs that might be pregnant. One has litter before last June calm as can be at that time now she is not friendly any more towards the male or me. The male was pulled out about a month ago. The other one is one of two that I purchased at Nationals this year not friendly towards me either. The one from Nationals is housed with the male and 2 other females so far friendly to them.

I agree with Susan. I've got one that was just bred 2 weeks ago already lying on her side which is not normal for her. And I have another female who in the past was evil but has since become super friendly. She's also bred.

Gotta love the mood swings, I like it when they get sweeter though, nothing worse than a spraying cacking wench!

I just keep telling Addie that she had better be pregnant because this kind of behaviour is not acceptable and had better not be permanent. She was so sweet before. Mind you I wasn't the most pleasant to be around all 5 times I was pregnant. Was going to say that I never peed though when I got upset with someone, but then on second thought......HEY, I had a baby sitting on my bladder!!

I've had chins act both ways when they become pregnant - calmer and more sweet, more aggressive or standoffish. Always a crap shoot! But any hormonal changes can trigger it and hormones start changing as soon as a chin becomes pregnant.

Personally, I would leave her alone. I don't bother to check for nipples or weigh them as I feel that stresses them out and that could lead to bad things. I go more by increased water intake, laying on side, and closer to the delivery date, less food intake. She probably is pregnant and she was telling the male to go away because she is already busy making some kits.

Personally, I would leave her alone. I don't bother to check for nipples or weigh them as I feel that stresses them out and that could lead to bad things. I go more by increased water intake, laying on side, and closer to the delivery date, less food intake. She probably is pregnant and she was telling the male to go away because she is already busy making some kits.

Leaving her alone now. I actually seperated her from Eiffel and Emma because they are all so valuable that I didn't want to take any chances that a fight could start and I could loose someone.

Back