How do you know if your chin is big enough to show?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjess10475

Are there any kind of guidelines? What's too small? Too young, etc.? Just wondering how you know when they're big/old enough. I have a couple that I'm interested in showing, mainly for judge opinions, but not sure if they're too small. I don't want to waste anyone's time. Not sure if I should just wait a bit longer.
Wilson is about 7 months old and 570g. Chubs is 6 months old and is 495g. Just wondered if they're a bit small.

You're not going to waste anyone's time. Bring them to the show anyway, the judge will comment if they're small or not. Size and weight are not the same. I have some larger females that look like they're over 1000g, but they're nowhere near that weight - it depends on the individual animal.

When we first started showing, I was told I shouldn't show chins under 600g or 6 months. A 600g chin looks small to some on the table these days, though. lol
It kind of depends, too, on if you can get to other shows once they are older or if this is your only chance to show them. Just keep in mind the judge's comments. They may say they are small for their age, or a good size for their age, etc... and give you comments on other traits.

Back