How do you clean pee off of fur?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigglefish13

Chinzilla
So for whatever reason, my chinchilla likes to roll around in his pee at night when I'm not monitoring him... I've tried giving him a fresh dust bath, but he still looks all messy with pee on his face and sides.

What's the best way to clean it off of his fur? I'm afraid to use water because I don't want it to get down to his skin.

Definitely don't use water. Dust baths and time are the only thing that will fix it. What kind of bedding/surface do you have down that he is peeing on? Fleece? Shavings? Other? Certain kinds of bedding will be more absorbent than others and might help prevent this problem in the future.

Definitely don't use water. Dust baths and time are the only thing that will fix it. What kind of bedding/surface do you have down that he is peeing on? Fleece? Shavings? Other? Certain kinds of bedding will be more absorbent than others and might help prevent this problem in the future.

Currently he has shavings at the bottom, but the shelves are just some kind of plastic, so when he pees on those at night while I'm asleep, he tends to roll in it... Thanks for your help :)

A teaspoon of cornstarch to 1/4 to 1/2 cup of dust helps a great deal with helping to clean off urine stains on a chin.

I'll have to try that. Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would remove all plastic from the cage (chins can ingest it and have serious gut issues as a result) by either replacing the shelves with kiln dried pine wooden shelves (or another safe wood) or covering them with fleece. I have a combination of fleece and wood shelves in my cage and have not had problems with urine stains (fleece absorbs it and, luckily, they don't pee on the wood!)

Latest posts

Back