how do u tell mold on wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireflycafe

Stormie & Bella
hihi. that might be a silly and obvious question, but I need to ask it.
Does the mold smell like mold on wood, or is it more like a visual thing? I am wondering because stupid me put a lit on a plastic bin full of woods and let it at that for few months. I finally realized what I did last night and open it up. I am now afraid that there might be mold, but couldn't tell since I don't smell it in the woods. However, there is this white fuss thing on some of the wood. Is that mold? BUT, here is the thing, I got some new woods maybe 3 weeks ago, and they also have them. I still have them in the shipping box that I got it in and the box has been open since the day I received it.

Help...so confused.

thank you :)

post a pic.

the one time i put my freshly baked apple wood sticks in a plastic bag there was visable green mold. i do not recall if there was an odor but it was visibly green.

i also just prepared about 10 pounds of twigs myself over the last few days. i scrub them. give a quick boil bath and then bake at low temp for long time.

when sorting them into boxes (cause i like the thin twigs separate from the thicker sticks) i noticed i missed scrubbing a small section on one of the bigger pieces. this looked like brownish baked on fuzz, that was probably greenish lichen that got baked.
i just toss them. i always look at each stick before giving to my boys.

here is three picture of the white stuff on the stick I was talking about. besides wood, I really don't smell anything else on the sticks. Doesn't mold smell? The thickest stick from the picture is something I had just bought recently and it is in a open box and it also has some of that white stuff on it. so confused... help.

Attachments

• IMG_7899.jpg
    IMG_7899.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7900.jpg
    IMG_7900.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7901.jpg
    IMG_7901.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 24
I don't think that's mold although I'm no expert. I know some of my wood here has that on it and I've always just assumed it was part of the wood. The moldy wood I've seen is normally green/black and real fuzzy. This stuff isn't really fuzzy, right?

no, not fuzzy. its like a white coating almost. kinda just got scared since I left it in the bin covered over the winter. I was smelling all of the sticks (my mom thought I was going crazy) trying to smell "mold" but couldn't. And was thinking maybe mold doesn't smell on wood or something and though that white stuff was mold :hair: hopefully its not :crossfingers:

Back