How do I dry Thick apple branches

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olallie

< i poopz in herez
Hello,

I've perfected my recipe for thin apple branches. The chins can't get enough!

But now we've cut really thick apple branches. I want to use them as perches. What is the best way to dry them?

I can't boil them because they're too big, of course. :p But Im thinking some might be ok for oven drying, but the really big ones I'm not sure of.

Anyone have experience with this?

You could give them a good scrub down with a very mild bleach solution, rinse really well and then stick them in the oven for drying. I haven't had a lot of apple wood here, but when I did get the thick branches I put them through the oven twice to dry them. Boiling them wasn't really possible...I figured baking them twice for *I think* 20 minutes each time would work out pretty well to kill off any bacteria and not completely burn the wood.

Oh ok, sounds good. I'll give that a try.

Hopefully they all can fit, i think there might be one i wont be able to.

Would drying it out in the sun be possible?

Sun is o.k. for short periods but does nothing unless they're in your car on a 100 degree day - stick them in a cool dark area (like a basement) for 2-3 months, they'll dry decently. I believe it takes almost 8 months for apple wood to fully cure on it's own.

I would cut a bunch and let them dry throughout the year in a box. Never oven baked until the last couple years where I figured out it speeds up the process. 200 for 1-2 hours for 2" - 3", 3-4 hours for 4"+ stuff. :)) They don't have to be baked at all, but the chins will devour them over night - even the big ones.

It shouldn't burn if you cook it low enough, never go higher than 250. Knock on wood I haven't burnt anything yet - even fell asleep and left a batch in for six hours one day. Whole house smelled like apples. :D

200 is more like a dehydrator, that's what I do jerky on. Mmm... jerky.

Latest posts

Back