How cold is too cold?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

Long story short, we have no heat in either of our homes thanks to mother nature.

Our main home gets to about 45-50 degrees at night, as high as 65 if we are lucky. We have been without heat or electricity since Tuesday evening. (I'm at work now so have web access, but when I leave here will be in the dark..literally) They are not expecting power to be restored until Friday evening or Saturday sometime.

Is this too cold? When we were able to venture out yesterday, we hit many stores looking for a kerosene heater, but found nothing. (Plenty of electrical ones LOL)

We let the boys out for playtime last night in the dark with only a small led light for illumination. They seem OK with the temperature, but I thought I would ask.

I think 45-50 would be ok for chins. Maybe not for YOU (layers...it's all about the layers and walking around in blankets hehe), but the chins should be ok. I would just watch them though as they might not be used to that cold of weather but I've heard people say their chins have been in that temperature and fine with it.

Sorry you've been without power for so long. Is your food still ok? I always wonder how long my fridge can keep food edible when it's without power, but I've never had to find out the hard way.

Because it's an emergency, there's not a whole lot you can do with those temps. Would I let my chins stay at that normally? No. 50 is the absolute lowest I will let my chin barn go, not factoring in humidity. At 50-55 they are really active, but I would not risk them being at 45 for a prolonged period in a nonemergency situation.

You could always TRY an electric one... :p I just installed a propane heater in my chin barn... love it. No electricity required and it can run on grill sized tanks.

They should be fine for another day, I personally would not worry about outside play time since you can't really keep a good eye on them.

I think they would be ok until Friday at those temps. However the temp. is suppose to go MUCH lower tonight - that I would worry about

They'll get more warmth huddling together than anything (if they share a cage). A house or fleece 'bag' for them to crawl in will help some too.

They should be ok. My apartment has no AC and it always gets down to 45-50 here at night. I haven't seen any problems in my chins. I also have a house in the cage that the chins can use but they don't choose to.

Well, we got power back last night, so all is well. (we just have no phone, cable or internet yet)

Thanks for all the suggestions. :thumbsup:

Back