Homo tov tan?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Antique's

Hello everyone.

I would need a little help with my little boy's color determination. His father is beige, and his mother is white tov tan.
I have registered him as homozygot tov tan, but I am not entirely sure of that color.

kuva2-2.jpg
kuva6.jpg

kuva5-3.jpg
kuva4-2.jpg

As you can see, the boy has a darker brown legs and chin. Also, the head is slightly darker than the rest of his body.
One of Finnish judge also wondered this boy's color in the previous chinchillashow, and she couldn't tell me that what this boy is in color.

If you have some pictures about homo tov tan chinchillas, I'd be really interested in seeing them.

I'll take more pictures of him later if need be ;)

-Jenni-

I'm not entirely positive but he looks like a tan white to me. I don't think that's TOV, nor homo beige, but again I'm not sure. Fuzzy, owned by InkedUpTara, looked JUST like that when he was born - kind of a reverse chin, colored belly and white top.

At any rate, there's only one way to find out, but I hope you'd use standards with him.

Yea I agree, partially with Mish. The reverse effect would be caused by the TOV, so he does look like a TOV tan white. Im only saying TOV because it looks like he has paw stripes, but it may just be the coloring from the tan. I wouldnt say homo as the coloring is a tad dark for homozygous, as well as his eyes seem ruby red, rather than that pink-purple. But Mish is right, if ever he was to be bred you would have to see what he throws. I would also hope that you pair him with nice standard females

See, I don't think they're "pawstripes". TOV doesn't cause a brown belly, tan does, and the paws aren't any darker than the belly. And the shading on the face I think is just regular veiling like you see on silvers and whites with dark guard hair, only beige in this kit instead of grey. Just a guess though.

I agree with Mish lookes like a Tan white. I would hope he doesn't go back to another mutation.

Pawstripes are not an indication of TOV. Regular standards and even some of my regular beiges have paw stripes.

I also agree with tan white since to me he looks like a homo tan white.

New member from Finland

Thank you for all your replies. I'm trying to get even this week, new pictures of him, so you can see his current color better.

In Finland, there is still much to learn about chinchilla's color mutations and genetics. Therefore, I really appreciate all your advice which I get from you.

Going back to the issue when I get new pictures!

-Jenni-

Jenni, when I saw your boy at the show I tought that he looks just like a light tan velvet whose colour is still in progress.
I have a brown velvet girl who didn't show any tov and now (at the age of 8 weeks) she's obviously velvet.
Just let him grow up and wait what he turns out to be. :)

I'd say you are correct in the Homo tan registration. Had a few myself and they usually turn out like that. You won't know about the white or Tov unless you breed him, and it'll take a year or two for him to reach his final coloration. At this point based on those photos I would say he is not Tov.

As far as how he is coloring - that is dependent on the line of ebony you're using. I have pictures of a regular tan/chocolate doing the same thing here.

He's cute, would love to see some updated pictures. :))

Last edited:
New member from Finland

Hi!

Now I got some now pictures about my honey. What do you think about it?

Attachments

• prodigy1.jpg
    prodigy1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 36
  • prodigy2.jpg
    prodigy2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 34
  • prodigy3.jpg
    prodigy3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 35
  • prodigy4.jpg
    prodigy4.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 34
That definitely looks like a homo tan to me. I still do not see TOV and now I also don't see white. He could still be hiding those colors, multiple mutation chins can be tricky which is one of the reasons most people do not combine so many mutations. :)

How old is he? If he is around a year there is something modifying the coloring on his body. Could be white or Tov, you'd have to breed him to find out. He is very beautiful.

New member from Finland

He is now 6 months old and it seems to me that his color is constantly changing. I am a pretty confident that the boy is a homozygot, but rest of his color is still mystery for me.
Apparently I just need to wait for the boy grows and then I can breed him with some standard.

Yea I don't see white anymore either, and do see the homozygous beige. Agree with homo tan - jury's still out on TOV but I don't think so.

Back