Homo pink white?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin_gal

Me? Addicted?
So, I have a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. I was told one time from a breeder that saw my pink white boy Charlie that he must be a homo pink white because he has a blue ring in his eyes. Now, I know that homo beiges have the blue ring in their eyes, but I've never heard of this talked about in pink whites. I mean, it makes sense because the beige gene is present, but I've just never heard of it? Does this really mean he's a homo pink white? On his pedigree it says his mother was a 'white' and his father was a beige. So, does this mean that his mother had to be a pink white?

Thanks! :))

It probably means he's not a homo pink white. Usually a homo pink white will have bright red "jelly bean" eyes. I have had white chins ( not pink white ) with a blue ring. And I've had a homo beige with darker eyes...

Ok, thanks! :)) That's strange... I'm just wondering why she would tell me that. So, I guess the fact that all homo beiges have blue rings isn't true as well? I've seen that stated in a few places.

Not sure if it helps at all but I've attached a picture of him. It honestly doesn't matter to me if he's a homo pink white or not. I've just always been curious ever since I was told that.

Attachments

• HPIM7115 (Custom).JPG
    HPIM7115 (Custom).JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 36
The only way to truly tell if an animal is homo or not is to breed them. I have a female I bought as, showed as, and believed was a homo beige, but she threw me a white on the first litter.

Homo beiges/pink whites can also have a pale blue ring, though I wouldn't judge it based on that. Most tend to have very clear bright pink pupils.

He's definitely at least a pink white. Wether or not he is homozygous for beige like mentioned above, you'd need to breed him. :))

Back