Homemade Cage and Oil

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudmom25

I recently received a handmade cage from a company that I had purchased online. The wiring is covered in what I am assuming to be oil. I tried wiping it off with soap and water but it really isn't helping. Any advice on what I should do? I can't imagine oil being good for the chinchillas...especially bar chewing chinchillas.

Try Dawn dishwashing soap - works wonders with oil of any kind!
I use it as a pre-wash for clothes after working on a car, too.

i dont understand why there would be oil on there anyways. if it doesnt come off then i would contact the company and ask for a fefund or a replacement cage

Just take it out and scrub it down. There may have been some lubricant on the wire from when it was manufactured. Sometimes there may be oil on the wire from manufacturing processes. In general, it isn't harmful, but just take it out and scrub it down with soapy water and rinse it well. That should take care of it.

I scrubbed it down with soapy water. Most of the lubricant came off. There is still a little but I am definitely not as worried about it now.

Thanks for all the help.

Back