Holes in poop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieP

Someone in my trio cage has these very hard poops that have little holes inside and sometimes on the outside (see attachments). I think I remember reading that this means he has gas? Is this right?

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 70
I just had the 3 out for playtime so I grabbed them and held their belly to my ear. I am pretty sure I heard some gurgling in Arnold so I am guessing the holy poops are his. So I weighed them all and Arnold lost 42g since the 11th! OMG!
His belly does not feel any different than my other chins.

Looks like I have to make a vet appointment. I just looked at his past weights and he has lost a ton. Bummer.

4/23: 802g
6/11: 816g
7/16: 792g
7/27: 788g
9/11: 723g
9/15: 681g

Right now I would give him a full dropper of simethicone and a dropper full every couple of hours till you get to the vet. The slow gradual weight loss you posted points to teeth, make sure your vet does not just poke around with a otoscope in the mouth, to rule out teeth the chin needs a oral exam under gas with x-rays-do not settle for less. You need to rule out teeth and that is the only way.

im on my way to the vet now. i'll make sure they do xrays of the teeth and abdomen . thanks dawn. i was hoping youKd chime in!!

the xrays just got done and there is a little gas. not as bad as ive seen on here before. are antibiotics necessary? he said an infection may have caused the gas. he is giving sub q fluids now and sending me home with critical care, the antibiotic, and a motility drug. is this the peoper treatment? i have my doubts for some reason. he told me to hold off for a few days on the simethicone so see how the other drugs effect him...??
i am also instructed to seperate him from his sons so i can monitor intake and output.
i think ill get this gas issue cleared up then see about the oral exam.

I tend to think most vets throw antibiotics at problems when they don't know what else to do. Did they do xrays of his teeth and do an oral exam?

eta: sorry i didnt read you didnt get the oral. I dont think the gas problem is going to go away if there are teeth issues...I think you need to have the oral exam and give the gas drops and if the oral exam is clear then you can refocus...

You have to diagnose the weight loss, if that goes on you will have repeated problems. I would not give the antibiotic to a gassy chin, I would treat the gas with the CC feedings-you are going to have to hand feed until the weight loss is diagnosed, give the simethicone and motility drugs, massage the tummy and reschedule another appointment to diagnose th weight loss-I:E oral exam, x-rays.

Considering he was already gassed for the abdominal xray which didn't the vet just do the teeth xray and oral exam?

i agree...........he was already anesthasized......now he has to go under again.
i would still give the gas drops. even with the motility drugs.
if he has an oral issue, he will probably continue to have a gas issue. :(

I apologize for the typos and incomplete sentences earlier. I was trying to use my phone's internet!

Considering he was already gassed for the abdominal xray which didn't the vet just do the teeth xray and oral exam?

They did not gas him for the x-rays. They put him in a box so he couldn't run off of the table. I saw the images and there was definitely gas, but it wasn't severe IMO.

You have to diagnose the weight loss, if that goes on you will have repeated problems. I would not give the antibiotic to a gassy chin, I would treat the gas with the CC feedings-you are going to have to hand feed until the weight loss is diagnosed, give the simethicone and motility drugs, massage the tummy and reschedule another appointment to diagnose th weight loss-I:E oral exam, x-rays.

I agree. The reason why I didn't have this vet do the oral exam is because I don't feel comfortable with him after today's visit, if Arnold was already under gas for the abdominal x-ray, I probably would have told him to do an oral exam. He did look at Arnold's incisors which looked great FWIW. I would rather to go to a new vet who knows more about exotics.

Thank you to everyone on here. I trust you all more than this vet.

Forgot -- The vet said that he thinks the weight loss is because Arnold lives with his 2 sons (BOWZER and Oscar), that it is a behavorial issue. He has lived with them for over a year.

Can cagemates cause stress to make him not eat? He is the one who used to chew BOWZER's whiskers. There is no aggression within the cage.

Cage mates can be food aggressive. It could be a possibility, but without teeth x-rays, you can't be sure that's the problem or not. You could try separating him for awhile and see if that helps.

I'd say in order to diagnose with complete certainty a behavioral issue that could cause the same symptoms as a potentially major health issue, it would need to be a diagnosis by eliminating all other diagnoses anyways. Meaning, you won't truly know if it's caused by a behavioral issue until you rule out all physical and medical causes first. Personally, I'd think you'd need to see if he has teeth issues regardless if you or your vet think it's a social/behavioral thing.

Well, I guess if you separated him that could reasonably diagnose it as a behavioral thing, but then you run the risk of him being stressed because of a cage change or being alone and the symptoms not subsiding anyways. And I'm not sure how long you'd have to wait to see if he gains weight after you've separated him. Maybe it's worth a try, I only have one chin so I have no idea if that is a common thing to happen (other chins stressing another out to the point of not eating).

EDIT: ha, I guess me and Stackie had the same idea I just type slow...

i would go with everyone elses advice so far, i dont really know much but i do know that dawn knows a lot so i trust her advice. anyways good luck! i hope everything turns out alright, i'll keep you both in my prayers tonight!

Latest posts

Back