Holding by base of tail=slip fur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie'sMum

Nutz over Chins
Ok sooo Millie apparently doesn't like being held by the tail AT ALL! she grunted and I let her go(I was supporting her body with other hand 2 inches above a cardboard box with her dustbath house). Then I noticed she had slipped fur probably during the process! I am not sure what I am doing wrong?! Do some chins prefer just to be scooped and held around their torsos lightly? What can I do to improve my "skills" for holding her? I have viewed the online YouTube video of how to groom a chinchilla, but focused on how she is holding her chins and mimicking her.
Please help! I don't want my lil girl hurt and I def do not want to be the cause of it!

How far down on the base of her tail were you holding? And with how many fingers?

I've never had any slip fur on their tail, but sometimes they slip a little on their butt. It's really not too big of a deal if they do.

I do think that some prefer to be held more of in a scooped position, but when I do that I also hold onto the base of their tail with my other hand, because they can easily leap out and hurt themselves.

umm like almost where her tail attaches to her body, three fingers including my thumb...oh yes sorry I wrote it wrong, she slipped fur from her bum area, not tail.

I always held mine right where the tail meets the body also. I was told by a breeder I buy chins from, not to hold them so close to the body or they'll slip fur. They have reminded me of it a few times because I, out of bad habit, always hold too close. Just move down about an inch, so you're still close to the body, but not right on it.

Back