holding a chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoshi86

I see a lot of posts about holding chins and cuddling. Is it normal that mine doesn't like to? He really is sweet and loves to be pet and have his belly rubbed but squirms and squeaks when I pick him up. I'm really gentle and calm but he doesnt seem to like it so I don't like to force it. I got him from a pet store and they think he was a little over 2 when I adopted him so I'm thinking since he hasn't been socialized with the same people since being a baby he has developed a more nervous disposition than normal. Any suggestions for my little Yoshi-bear?

Most chinchillas don't like to be held or picked up. The ones that do are usually the exception rather than the rule. None of my three like to be picked up, and two of them will tolerate being touched briefly, the other wants nothing to do with any of it!

Yes, most chins are more content out running around. It's pretty rare that a chin will actually want to be held. Out of my 5 I've had 2 that didn't mind it, and one who will sit still for long periods of time.

It really depends on the chin. And as far as being unsocialized, that really depends. I've gotten 2 chins from a large ranch (100's of chins) and they both were very nice chins, one hated being held, the other didn't mind so much. So really it depends on the chin's disposition. Some will grow to tolerate it, some will love it even though they've never had human contact, and others will hate it. They vary just like people.

I have a few that dont mind being held, and some that will only tolerate it for a short time. I always hold the chin close to be and hold the base of the tail for support... Any chin that you hold away from your body will squirm a lot more. ... One of my more social chins doesn't really like to be held, but loves to be talked to and scratched inside the cage...

Do you know if it is possible to train your chin to be held? perhaps get him warmed up to you holding him?

Chinchillas are like birds. They may like to perch on you but rarely do they like to be held. I think we are lucky that Edgar lets us pet him but he hates being held still. I've always figured it had to do with being a prey animals and not wanting to feel trapped. Of course he's also only a year and I figure it may take a long time for him to settle if he ever does.

Chinchillas have their own personalities and like people vary greatly in these personalities. Some chins are more content to be held, while other wont tolerate it at all, and then everything in between. I think that generally a chin will become more tolerant of being held if you do it regularly, but that is only if it does not stress them out. Our very first chin did not like to be held at all, and never got over that. So, take your time and your chin may become more accepting of it, but be prepared in case they don't.

Like everyone has said, chins vary greatly when it comes to personalities and disposition. It will mostly be up to them on whether they want to be held or not, it won't matter too much if you want to train them. I have a chin that will sit in my arms while I hold him, but doesn't necessarily LIKE it, i would say he tolerates it. The other three are not too fond. You can try to hold him often until he seems like he will deal with it, but chances are if he doesn't like it now he probably won't. Just make sure when you do hold him, he's close to your body and you're supporting his back feet and the base of his tail. If his feet are dangling, he'll feel like he's falling and probably be more skittish.

Maddie hates to be "cuddled". She lets up pick her up sometimes but not always. She more likes to get out and run around and crawl on me. She will let us pick her up to take her out or what not. But she is deffinatly not a cuddler.

Of my three, Dude likes to have his belly rubbed, and will tolerate being held much better than Annie and Gabbie. The girls don't like being petted or cuddled very much at all. All three will perch on you, but if you go to hold them they hop away!

Back