Hi! I'm hoping to learn more about Chins!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new here. I am also new to Chinchillas! I have fallen in love with Chinchillas! I recently got my first chin from a local petshop. I was told he is 6 yrs old, & that his previous family was moving and couldn't keep him anymore. He is sooo sweet! I am wanting to get him a buddy since they are colony animals. I need advice on how to go about adding a buddy. Will two males get along? Since my boy chin is 6 yrs old what is the best age of the new chin so they'd have the best chance of getting along? Do I need to get a new weaned baby? Do I need to stay under a certain age w the new one? I love looking at all the baby chin pics, but don't feel that I am ready to breed so I believe adding a male buddy would be best. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!! :)

Welcome to CnH. :)

If your boy has been alone his entire life, I doubt he's all that lonely without a buddy. At 6, he may have established himself as a loner. If you want to try and introduce him to another male, then you would be better off finding a younger male. Keep in mind though, there is no guarantee that they will get along, or even if they do get along, that they will keep being friends a couple months down the road. You will always need to keep a second cage on hand just in case you need to separate.

There is an intro thread under the forum FAQs that explains pretty much all the different methods that people use. Give that a read and see if there is anything in there that might work for you.

Hi and Welcome. This was my first forum too when i fell in love with chinchillas 7 yrs ago, well it was call Chins and Quills back then, i have learnt so much here, so yea, welcome to the forum and enjoy the world of messy chins :)
As for getting your chin a buddy, like Tunes said, your chin might not accept another chin into his life since he's been a loner for 6 yrs, if u do decide to pair him up with a male, u would have to put them in separate cages at first and go thru the quarantine period, and then slowly introduce them. Which might work, but might not.
Another alternative would be to get your boy a stuffed chinny buddy, I have seen and heard lots of great stories with solitary chins and their stuffed buddy enjoying time together :)

I don't know anything about his past before I got him June 1. I don't know if he had a buddy or was a breeder or if he has always been solitary. I wish I knew. He is so extremely docile. Actually I am thinking that he is neutered. I can't find any testicles. I was told to feel for them as they can sometimes be tucked up, yet you can feel them. Nope, can't find anything! I have a breeder that will be checking him over next week. She'll be able to tell.

Bonding

Well, I got a second male, he's 11 wks. Beautiful white violet and super sweet, energetic but sweet! Bonding is NOT going well. My older chin tries to nip the baby when I hold one in ea hand and when baby is in his cage on the floor w the older one on the outside. The older chin doesn't make any noises like barking tho. I have NOT had them down loose together, my gut feeling says "don't do it". I wish I had seen if this baby had a male littermate, and gotten two brothers. I special ordered him through a pet shop. They don't keep them in the store, but special order from a breeder in OK. All the breeders are way too far from me. I got my baby last Friday, would 1 wk apart be too long separated if I find out he had a brother and get him as a cagemate?

The pet shop I special ordered thru does not keep chins in the store, but can order. I do not know the name of the breeder. That info was not given. I wasn't given a pedigree either. I know 1/2 of what I paid was probably pet shop mark up. The pet shop is called "Pet Country" and it's in Conway, AR.

I found out some history on my 6 yr old chinchilla. His previous owner got him as a baby and he was an only chin his whole life. He was well cared for tho. Since he did not respond well to my baby mosaic, I got a baby black velvet (seems ebony too me), and now the two babies are bonded in one cage. My 6 yr old chinchilla will remain single. He begs at his cage door when I enter the room. He enjoys just being held. I got him from a pet shop in Cabot, AR. Oh, I also discovered that he is neutered.

Back