Hi from Washington - your opinion is welcome

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdb411

Hello - I am a new chin owner. I appreciate this forum because I am learning a lot of to do's and not to do's but I'm afraid I still have more to learn.

I adopted (rescued) a female about 4 months ago (Chillie). Everything went well with her and even though she's high strung, she adjusted well to our home and we are crazy about her. I adopted (rescued from horrible conditions) a second female last Sunday, and she doesn't seem to be adjusting well at all. I'm seeing what I think is signs of stress. They are in seperate cages, in different rooms. I plan to quarrantine the new girl (Apple) for the recommended 30 days, before we make an introduction. She is only eating a very small amount of Timothy hay and I can't tell if she is drinking any water. If she is, it is only a small amount. I have given her fresh water and marked the bottle (which is working - I checked). I think she is deydrated and constipated because her stools are small, brown and round instead of the normal elongated dark poop. She goes thru episodes of barking, starting off with what sounds like a spitting noise. Tonight I plan to move her cage to my bedroom, where is is even more quiet and I can gauge if she is active or not and if she is eating or not. I know you aren't supposed to handle a new chin much while they are trying to adjust to a new home, but quite honestly she seems more content when she is held. When I open the cage door, some of the time she runs to the door and right into my hands and snuggles right into my neck. I don't know if I should just leave her be or go with my gut instinct and give her comfort. Your opinions are so valued, please chime in.

Jenni

Whether you handle a chin or not is a case by case basis. Not all chins have to be left alone, not all like to be handled. If you feel she's doing well when you hold her, then continue to do it.

If you think she's not drinking, try rubbing a raisin around the nozzle of the bottle. It may be that she's unaccustomed to that type of bottle. Usually rubbing a raisin on it will do the truck. They are attracted to the sweet taste and will try and lick it off.

You mention timothy hay, but not what pellets you feed. Is she on the same pellets she was before, or did you do a cold switch to a new pellet? A change in household can be stressful, and if you combine that with a cold food switch, it's not a surprise that she might have a bit of constipation going on. I would get ahold of either some Benebac (which you can get at pet stores I believe, or at a vet) or some Acidophillus and I would start giving her that. I've also added just a touch of 100% apple juice to a water bottle when I've brought some ranch chins home as they were just totally freaked out and wouldn't drink. They were happy to attack the water bottle with the apple juice. You don't need a lot, maybe a 1/4 to 3/4 ratio of juice to water, just enough to give a taste. If she had stopped pooping completely, I would not recommend that, but it sounds as though she's pretty stressed and may not be getting enough water into her.

The barking and spitting is pretty normal for a rescue chin. She's probably pretty scared in her new home, especially if she came from a not great home before you. A quiet room would probably be a good idea, and if you have a radio, play some music for her when you're not there. Be aware though, if you're not used to having a chin in your bedroom it can seem pretty loud and may keep you up at night for a bit.

I'm glad you are observing a quarantine. Good for you for reading up on that and using that practice.

Welcome to CnH. :)

Hi Jenni, and welcome! I can't add anymore than what Tunes already did - she's too knowledgeable to top! - but I sure hope your rescue chin makes a turnaround for you!

Where are you in Washington? I'm north of Seattle up by the border.

I also agree with Peggy whole heartedly and would just say if she is more content being held then by all means hold her and comfort her. If that helps to reduce the stress in her I think that's a good thing.

Welcome to the forum!

If she enjoys being held you might want to invest in a good hoodie or a bonding pouch. I haven't had the chance to try this personally, but I've heard from a few people that it's a great way to bond with your little one because they like to get carried around in them. I know Tiffany sells bonding pouches, her site is http://threewingedfury.webs.com/suppliesforsale.htm (just be careful that she doesn't jump out unexpectedly and hurt herself)

Tunes - thank you for your very thoughtful response, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. You have such great ideas. I will put your suggestions to good use!! I am using Mazuri pellets for feed, but it isn't what her previous owners fed her. So, the change of food coupled with the change of home is probably too much for her. They didn't have food for her and when I asked what she was eating, so I could go get the same brand - they didn't know. They said they bought "whatever was cheapest". For pity sake, it's ALL cheap! The little bit of food that was in her dish looked like a compressed pellet with some kind of other ingredient mixed in, maybe dried rosemary? I'm not sure. I threw it out when I cleaned her cage, but now I regret that move. I will try rubbing a raisen on the water bottle spout, but since she won't even eat a raisen, I will also put a little apple juice in as you suggested. Maybe if I do both it will at least get her going. Instead of a full bowl of pellets, I measured an amount so I can tell if she ate any and I re-stuffed her hay feeder. She is pooping, and I took a closer look. Some look semi-normal, but most don't. I will go ahead move her to my bedroom tonight. I don't mind losing a little sleep (or more than a little) if it helps her adjust. I'm so worried that I'm not sleeping well anyway. There is a small animal vet I've used before that's within an hour of my town and evidently she has been there before. He specializes in small animals and birds. I am interested to know (if they will tell me) what she has been seen for in the past. I'll give him a call about that and the Benebac tomorrow. It might be a good thing to have on hand, even if she does regulate on her own. And, if she doesn't start drinking - I will take her in to be seen.
Just as a little side note: It is so sad because when I do pet her, my hands come away smelling like cigarette smoke. I pretty sure her fur is coated with nicotine residue. She is taking a dust bath so I hope that will remove most or at least some of it. I'll address her fur issue after the more immediate water & food intake concern is better. I can't wait for her to adjust so we can get down to the serious business of spoiling her rotten! Thank you again.

If she enjoys being held you might want to invest in a good hoodie or a bonding pouch. I haven't had the chance to try this personally, but I've heard from a few people that it's a great way to bond with your little one because they like to get carried around in them. I know Tiffany sells bonding pouches, her site is http://threewingedfury.webs.com/suppliesforsale.htm (just be careful that she doesn't jump out unexpectedly and hurt herself)

I'd just like to add too, that you want to make sure in a pouch that your chin doesn't get overheated. They like to stay in a cooler environment, and I would think that being carried around in a pouch could become too warm after a bit...

Welcome to CnH! You've been given great advice. I play classical music in my room for my chin. She seems to enjoy it. You will be surprised by how much noise they make at night. I swear mine does laps at 2am.

Thank you for such a warm welcome! I've moved Apple to my room, she has a bit of pure apple juice in her water and I'm set for a long night. If she's active tonight I will breathe a sigh of relief. My poor sweet labrador retriever is going to displaced from the end of my bed until Apple makes a complete adjustment. But, I'm sure she'll find another family member willing to put up with her bed hogging. I can't see allowing her to add to Apples' already stressful move.

Jenn, I live in Poulsbo. An old time Norweigan town about a 35 minute ferry crossing from Seattle. Popular for Poulsbo Bread and Poulsbo RV and attract a lot of visitor to the little shops downtown at Christmas Time. Kind of like Levenworth on a little smaller scale. You may have been out this way. You must live near Bellingham. I thought of the overheating aspect too in regard to the pouch. I like to offer a lunch ice pack slipped inside a sport sock, when Chillie looks a little too warm. Maybe a pouch with a cool pack in the bottom for Apple?

Thank you for your kind words and support.

Welcome to the board! You will find such a wealth of information here! Everyone is so helpful!

Classical music, Cindy? I know people say it can have an effect on babies in the womb! I should try that with my chins! :p

Update - I did leave her today in my room (with classical music on). She was a little active last night, but didn't drink or eat and her poops are now tiny hard specks. She has an appt. at the vet today at 2:30, it can't come fast enough. This morning I tried to rub a little water from my finger into her mouth and she wouldn't respond at all. I am hoping the vet will give me some kind of liquid supplement that can be hand fed to her. This is just awful, my heart is breaking.

I'm thinking I may stop by her previous owners and ask them for water from their tap and find out at least WHERE they bought her food. I'm sure there can't be that many brands that look like hers did. I would recognize it. Maybe with comfort and food and water she is used to, she'll turn around.

Thank you for your continued support, it is so helpful. I won't give up on her.

Welcome to the group. Hopefully your vet can get some fluids into her and help get her back on her feet. We'll be rooting for her.

Classical music, Cindy? I know people say it can have an effect on babies in the womb! I should try that with my chins! :p

I play the piano at home. When I first started playing around Shelly I noticed she would run to where I was and stare at me. I figured she liked it so I decided to leave music on for her at night and when I'm not home. She seems to enjoy it.

If she's getting constipated, don't offer her juice water. That can compound a problem rather than help it. I would absolutely have the vet check for bloat/gut stasis and I would have them administer subcu fluids. If he didn't when you were there, you may want to consider a second trip, and you should probably ask about Critical Care as well.

Update 2 - of the 1,200 dollers worth of suggestions form the vet, the subcutaneous fluid shots seemed to make the most sense. She also perscribed an antibiotic and I had to ask about some kind of nutritional supplement. She recommended a powdered nutritional replacement that is mixed with water and fed thru a syringe. (that must be the critical care?) I went over to her previous home and inquired about her food again. She looked it up on the internet and I went and picked it up. It's not a great food, but at least it's what she's used to until this critical period is over with. Then, when she actually is eating food I can gradually switch her to the Mazuri. I also took a bottle of water from her tap. Tunes, I offered the juice water last night, but she didn't touch it. Tonight, I put in the tap water from her previous home and I left the juice out. I give my other chin distilled water, but I think the change of water is part of the problem. I'm pleased she ate the liquid nutrition and medicine just fine and she appears perked up. I'm really glad I took her to the vet. Naptime - I have to syringe feed water to her every 4 hours, it's going to be a long night. Just like having a baby in the house again, only now I'm too old to bounce back from the sleep deprivation.

Back