He's not going to make it =/

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah okay, that's good then. Sounds like it's working out for him.

Either way, good luck with your other one, I hope he pulls through.

Thank you Allie.
If it wasnt for you guys advice my chins would've been long gone by now. When I first got Chico I was very misinformed. :high5:

My concern is in the first post, you said that it was hot in the house - heat stroke can certainly make a chinchilla lethargic, minimally responsive, not want to eat, drink, and produce little/no feces. I don't know what the temperatures were like and what the chin is used to.

A pound is 454g. ;P

A lot of chinchillas are in the 500-700g range. Just like not everyone grows to be 6 feet tall, not every chinchilla grows to be 900+g. Last time I weighed my chins, one was about 600-something and the other about 700-something g (it's been a while, and I forget... I should probably dig out the scale again). People are so obsessed with weight, but that's not the only thing to consider.

And one of my chins certainly does get fat if unlimited pellets are provided. He gets bald rolls under his armpits, and I can't feel his ribs at all. Thus, two chinchillas get to share about 2-3Tbsp of pellets a day, and I free-feed the hay, and that seems to keep it under control. ANY animal can get fat. Chins might be less prone to it than, say, dogs or rabbits, but they can do it.

Good luck with your chin.

My house was 72 degrees yesterday, that was about it. Humidity was 38%.

If they had left a heater on or something, it could easily get too hot for a chin.

ETA: sorry we posted at the same time. I don't think 72 is hot enough for heat stroke but I could be wrong

Something ruptured inside his body. They are attempting surgery now...

Thank you. I hope he makes it but its really a 50..50 chance. He was so weak going into surgery.

She suggested surgery because the x-ray came up with blur, meaning there's build-up in his body of hay and stuff. And a perphiration (sp) of some type occured.

Good luck for your little guy. I'll keep him in my thoughts and I hope he makes it through.

He didn't make it.

And there were no highly visible signs of a problem. Just an irregular pancreas.

Latest posts

Back