HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure you dont mean 3 months old? If you had him a month and he is a month old you got him at 4 weeks. chinchillas arent weaned until 8 weeks....some breeders 6 but most 8. He is going to need to see a different vet. if those are abscesses they will needto be drained and he will need oral anti-biotics. normally baytril would be what I would suggest but in such a young kit a sulfa drug would hopefully do the trick

The pictures of the original spot that lost fur(I am referring to the most recent pictures) do remind me of my own allergic reaction as it healed.

The new patches of fur loss have me concerned of it being a type of fungus, not necessarily ringworm. I would suggest asking the vet to do a fungus culture from the nose and chest and see if anything grows and if it can be diagnosed to a specific fungus.

Good luck with him.

First off, today it looks better, the skin isn`t as inflammated as it was, i continued to use the right ointment and I also applied some Betadine, cause I read somewhere it is good to use. I didn`t try to touch him too much cause it hurts him, but apparently, i think he harms himself because of the scratching.

Ok, I`m back here because I don`t know what to do anymore and I`m desperate.

Now I know for sure that he dosen`t have fungus... the inflamation almost passed, and the hair has starting to grow on the side, and I think the inflamation was from the wrong ointment.

But recently I discover on the other side of his body the same dandruff-husk (I don`t know how to say it properly). It also loosing hair there, maybe from the scratching.

I took some pictures too again. And maybe someone can help me please.
The vets here don`t know much about chins and I don`t want to do the same mistake that I`ve done with the first vet that I went.

Attachments

• DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 37
That is a skin infection, and the initial reaction to the cream was an allergic one to an already taxed immune system.

Mix 1 part sulfur (flowers of sulfur) to 10 parts dust. you should be able to get it from a livestock store or someplace that sells supplies to make gunpowder.

Sulfur is a natural substance that treats inflammation and can be taken internally so it will not hurt if it is ingested. Let him roll in that, it will help.

Skin infections are tough. You have to find the right drug that he is not allergic to and treat it orally. Good luck.

Back