help with food allergies for my frenchie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
So im at a loss with my baby frenchie Bailey. She is 8 months old and def has food allergies. Rite now its the worst it has ever been. her hair has thinned out on her back and by her butt from her itching and chewing. She licks her paws. One time her ear was swollen shut from a yeast infection . She has the yeasty smell to her. I feel so horrible because I can't find the rite food for her and its breaking my heart.

She gets medicated baths 2x a week . When i got her she was on science diet. I put her on ianal organic ingrediants and she was so so on it. I then switched her to blue chicken and brown rice and she flared up horribly. I of course threw the bag away so I still have 25 pounfs of it left in a container ! Ugh ! I now have her on the blue basics limited ingredients. I just feel so bad for her and want to find a food to help her. I don't no if this food is working yet because she still is itching and its been about a week. Does anyone have any suggestions on food ?

I don't feed a raw food diet but if I had a dog like this I would investigate it and perhaps try it. I've seen testimonials from people that swear by it for allergies.

I really don't want to deal with the raw food diet I would prefer a kibble diet for her . We have 6 other dogs and i think it would be to hard to manage the raw food diet being that bailey has the attention soan of a ant lol so its so hard to get her to eat when she is suppose to and the big dogs tend to snatch her food half the time and i have to give her more lol

i have also read a lot of reviews that raw is the way to go:

here are some kibble suggestions:

Eagle Pack's Holistic Select Duck and Oatmeal or Blackwood's 5000 which is Catfish and Potato. Canidae, Wellness, Innova, California Natural are three brands that are highly recommend and have human grade quality. maybe if you go to a pet store you can see if they have samples. my feed store always has samples and they have SO many varieties.

I have a doberman, who doesn't have allergies, but has a very sensitive stomach and every kibble I've tried gives him horrendous gas and diarrhea. I feed my dogs Taste Of The Wild, but only a half serving of it. The other half I make homemade for him. It consists of burger, brown rice, pureed veggies, and yogurt. This combination of kibble and homemade provides him with all the nutrients he needs, but he eats less of the kibble and this keeps him from having the gas or the diarrhea. I'm not sure if this kind of diet would help your dog or not, but sometimes, anything is worth trying to find relief.

Good luck!

Chicken is a common allergy, as is fish. Try foods without these things one at a time and give about a month for improvement. I'd also try something grain free. Taste of the Wild is a wonderful food and cost effective!

You also may want to look into Omega 3 for her allergies. Before putting my kitten on a raw diet, this use to help.

http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Ome...U0/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1332958255&sr=8-15

Last edited:
Thanks I'm going to look into these foods. So is that how ling I should wait on her current food to see the difference is a month ? The one she is on is turkey and potato.

It takes about a month for symptoms to improve when changing foods. I would also consider eliminating grains (barley, rice, wheat, corn, etc). Those can be big triggers, and are easily managed with a grain-free food. Obviously you'll want to eliminate one thing at a time so you know what it was that worked (chicken vs corn, for example).

You have two big categories of options: 1) Novel protein/Carbohydrate 2) Modified protein

With novel protein/carbohydrate you need to feed a protein or carbohydrate source that your dog hasn't been exposed to before. Check the WHOLE ingredient list to make sure there isn't some random chicken something-or-other at the bottom of the list. You need to feed this for 4-12 weeks for dermatological issues to see if they clear up. This includes treats, table food etc. You need to be VERY strict!

With modified protein, you can feed food that contains hydrolyzed proteins. These proteins have been pre-broken down into tinier particles to try to sneak them past the bodies immune system. Food like this is Hill's Z/D or Purina HA, and some others.

I like the sound of that diet Jenn.

To the OP...don't forget fish oils...especially omega 3. Fish oils are a natural anti-inflammatory.

My frenchie has to be on chicken soup for dog lovers brand. It's maybe not the most hypoallergenic but works for us. And benadryl for seasonal allergies. But his aren't as bad as your dogs.

Try a detox homemade formula just for a week or so. It would include cooked meat, brown rice, some added nutrients, and something like cottage cheese. It may help ease the current reaction.

your link didnt work for me for the fish oil? what am i searching for and ill look on ebay for it.

also its hard with her being a puppy its like they could care less about puppies with sensative skin and stomachs. its all adult foods wich aggrevates me so much! she still has to be on puppy food for another 4-5 months!

ughhh frenchies are stressful lmao

Most, if not all grain free brands are an all life stage food.

Look up "Allerg3" or "Nordic Naturals" for the Omega 3.

My girl is a Boston Terrier mix and has quite a lot of health issues. Skin and food allergies being one (Along with alopecia, luxating patella, vaccine allergies, bee allergies, etc.). We have her on partial raw/partial kibble. Taste of the Wild seems to do great for her. You can even just give her raw scraps sometimes if she'll take them. I also add fish oil. I just get bottles of it at the pharmacy and cut the pills, then squirt it over her meals.

Why don't you get her food allergy tested? Its about 150 in my area and comes with a list of foods that are allergen free. The problem with home trials is you don't ever know which 1 thing to avoid or any multible of things is th real problem. And unfortunatrly allergies only get worse as the pet ages. The food test I have used is called a SPOT RAST. It test for food, indoor, out door, and fungus allergies. Cause dogs that have food allergies commonly have other allergies as well.

So im at a loss with my baby frenchie Bailey. She is 8 months old and def has food allergies. Rite now its the worst it has ever been. her hair has thinned out on her back and by her butt from her itching and chewing. She licks her paws. One time her ear was swollen shut from a yeast infection . She has the yeasty smell to her. I feel so horrible because I can't find the rite food for her and its breaking my heart.

She gets medicated baths 2x a week . When i got her she was on science diet. I put her on ianal organic ingrediants and she was so so on it. I then switched her to blue chicken and brown rice and she flared up horribly. I of course threw the bag away so I still have 25 pounfs of it left in a container ! Ugh ! I now have her on the blue basics limited ingredients. I just feel so bad for her and want to find a food to help her. I don't no if this food is working yet because she still is itching and its been about a week. Does anyone have any suggestions on food ?

I have english bulldogs, 1 with horrid allergies and I found a huge improvement when I took any/all chicken out of his diet. Which is a key ingredient in about 95% of dog foods. I do Mal-A-Keet for any/all baths per vet recommendation & have switched to wellness core ocean (which is the only dog food I came across that doesn't contain chicken or chicken by-products). For bad flare-ups my vet has directed me to use 1mg benadryl per pound of pet & of course there's r/x prednisone that goes with that.

More about that here--> http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=72

My mom worked at at vets for many years and they did allergy test and still didn't find the causes . I'd rather not waste the time or money on it . I am going find fish oil today my mom said it should br in stores.

If you don't want to do testing I would try a limited ingredient diet. California Natural is a great LID kibble. With a LID you can more accurately pin point the source of the problem.

Back