HELP! Dog ate Catfish Bait!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanjelly

kayak queen...
Hi all--

The dog we are currently fostering for a friend JUST ate about 3 oz or more of a "Catfish Bait Dip." It was in a closed, screw top container, still closed with the plastic. I had NO clue she would get into it. After being alone for about 30 minutes, we came home to find she had taken off of the kitchen table, pulled off the protective plastic layer, bitten through the lid and ate some of it.

I have NO CLUE what is in this product--I'm hoping it is non-toxic. So far, I can't find an ingredient list. The product is "Hog Wild Dip Bait" made by Magic Bait. Here is the website: http://www.magicbait.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2669177933-9

So far, Miss Jezebel is acting just fine. Of course, we're keeping an eye on her...but does anyone have any clue what is in this?? I'd appreciate ANY advice.

:hair:

Call poison control. They should be able to tell you if there's anything toxic in it.

1-800-222-1222

It's just an option for poison - they don't care if it's a kid or a dog, they keep a record of most house hould items. Likely there isn't anything too bad in it - it is fish bait and humans do consume the fish.

My first thought was she got the hook - that can be a pain to get out of a dog's mouth... had that happen a few times.

So they ended up taking my call and then calling me back. From what they can tell, the bait contains gross things like blood, brains, decomposed fish and maybe some cheese, etc. So she said we don't have to worry about anything being toxic, but we do need to worry about potential bacteria that she could pick up. So far, so good...our troublemaker is acting just fine, but we'll keep an eye on her!

That would have scared me so much. My dogs can open things that I would never think they could even want. :(

I'm sure he'll be fine, but I am so sorry that he scared you like that. Don't worry, I'm sure that he won't even have a tummy ache. That's how bad dogs seem to be, they eat something horrible and come away just fine... Ick, why on earth would anything want to eat catfish bait...why would even catfish want it? yuck.

That would have scared me so much. My dogs can open things that I would never think they could even want. :(

I'm sure he'll be fine, but I am so sorry that he scared you like that. Don't worry, I'm sure that he won't even have a tummy ache. That's how bad dogs seem to be, they eat something horrible and come away just fine... Ick, why on earth would anything want to eat catfish bait...why would even catfish want it? yuck.

Yeah, she's got some behavior issues we're working with. But she'll get there, I swear!! And I totally understand--catfish bait is the GROSSEST THING EVER! Why would she want to eat it?!? The weirdest thing is that she's already a tiny dog for her size--she barely eats her kibble. It's bizarre. We're going to see if she likes our dog's kibble better and if we can switch her to that kibble instead.

*reads all the names in your sig*

LMAO! Tilted Ted and Tank are my faves. :)

heehee, I can't take credit for Tilted Ted...that's what he was named when we got him, but it was completely appropriate. And Tank was the runt of the litter, so I decided he needed a strong name. :)

Funny what dogs can eat, and get away with!!
Mom had a fox terrier/dashhound mix that climbed on the dining room table, and ate a 2 layer chocolate cake, with chocolate frosting, and chocolate is supposedly fatal to dogs!
He laid on his back with his feet straight up, in the "dead dog" position for 2 straight days - was fine for the rest of his life!!
Once set out 4 lbs. of porkchops to defrost, and ran to the farmstand to get some sweetcorn. Came back 10 minutes later, and thought someone had stole them - NO TRACE!! Asked my german shepard, Sunshine, what happened, and she hit the floor with her ears down! [Her "I'm sorry" position!]
I, too, called poison control - EVERYTHING was gone poly wrapper, label, napkin and styrofoam tray, like it was never there! They said don't worry about it, it'll pass! Guess it did - she lived about another 11 years!

Yes, my Border Collie will eat most things. Catfish bait is very stinky, which is what probably attracted the dog. Blood, brains, decomposed fish, cheese.........a doggy delicacy, for sure! I'm sure your dog will be fine. :vomit:

Eww haha. That's pretty gross, I had to push my French Toast away after I read what was in it.:vomit:

But, I did laugh at the "Some cheese" part. I just figured anything you are using as bait to catch potential food can't be toxic. She should be fine though, dogs were made to eat nasty stuff and be fine.

My dog found a HUGE squash one time... she came back with half of it in her mouth... weird dog. Her favourite is green beans from off the vine. I'm sure that she would be a vegetarian if she could choose.

My family used to run the annual easter egg hunt at our church. So we always bnought those little individually wrapped chocolates to put in the plastiuc eggs. We would buy it in bulk, five pound bags. One year my golden retriever got into it and ate half the bag! Of course, we think this dog is going to die. We called our vet at home in the middle of the night, she said to watch Honey and if she starts to get sick then bring her to the emergency clinic right away. Not only did she not get sick, she didn't even miss her regular meals!

Latest posts

Back