help chin drooling! :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizdro

My chinchilla lucky has started drooling pretty bad. I did research on the ordeal and its seems to be dental disease : / ...I read that if its a front tooth they can be shaved down but if its a back there is no help. I felt under his chin and theres ar spike in the back...what do I do?

You need to take him to a chin experienced veterinarian who can do a thorough oral exam. This includes radiographs as simply looking in the mouth is not enough. There is no "cure" for dental disease. If there are only a few spurs, the vet can file them down. If it is an issue with the roots, nothing can really be done.

The important thing is you get in him to the vet asap because it is very painful and they will stop eating. Dental chins usually die of starvation if left without veterinary care. The vet can give you some options after they figure out the extent of the problems.

Where are you located? If you don't a vet, a member here in your area may be able to point you in the right direction.

You need to take him to a chin experienced veterinarian who can do a thorough oral exam. This includes radiographs as simply looking in the mouth is not enough. There is no "cure" for dental disease. If there are only a few spurs, the vet can file them down. If it is an issue with the roots, nothing can really be done.

The important thing is you get in him to the vet asap because it is very painful and they will stop eating. Dental chins usually die of starvation if left without veterinary care. The vet can give you some options after they figure out the extent of the problems.

Where are you located? If you don't a vet, a member here in your area may be able to point you in the right direction.

well i'm in las vegas but moving to salt lake city in a week. I've felt under his chin and the spur is underneath which i would say is a root problem. Are there options..i don't want to put him down...

Elongated roots will penetrate the jaw bone and exit the bone just under the skin, there is no reversal or treatment. Drooling means pain, extreme pain.

He needs to see a vet this week. As Dawn said, teeth pain can be terrible and he at least needs pain meds

thanks guys..he'll be going to the vet asap..atleast to get pain meds if that's all we can do :/

The best drugs to use for dental pain in chinchillas are metacam and tramadol used together, metacam alone does not cut hard core pain. When dealing with elongation, there is no great treatment plan for long term management, the chin will die from this. Often these chins will succumb to secondary infections such as URIs and dental abscesses. If you have other chins practice infection control between the chins, drool can have nasty bacteria that can be transmitted between chins, something I found out the hard way.

Back