Help! bought girl not boy!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiniiBamBam

Keeper of BamBam :D
so litereally just yesterday i bought my little bambam a friend and the owner of it told me she was a boy but today she has sprayed pee and i looked at her privates and im 99% sure its a girl, annd she is bigger than him and i know females are generally biggger than males! help me what can i do with them can i still introduce them and put them into the same cage or will they be poppin out babies like rabits!?!?!?! please help me i know what i should doo!!!:hair:

yes i am i bout her from someone that was selling her, and would it be a bad idea to try and breed them later on down the road? and if they had babies would they all have to see the vet before i sold them?
im not looking to breed them but if it happend because i am going to let them play together the point in getting her was so they wernt so lonley so i feel bad like they are just going to be just as lonley

Do the chins have pedigrees or health histories or anything? If not, you shouldn't breed them. There's a lot of things that they could potentially pass on to offspring that could lead to very sick babies.

Playtime isn't a good idea because it literally only takes a few seconds for a female to get pregnant. Breeding chins may seem like a lot of fun, but I assure you, it isn't all fun and cute babies. Chinchilla babies are fairly large at birth and there can be major complications in pregnancy and delivery. An emergency c-section can cost over $1500....and you can lose the mother and the kits. It's pretty serious business...

I wouldn't worry about the chins getting lonely. They have you and if you are giving them enough attention they're just fine.

the female came from a breeder and the male came from a petstore and i havent ever had health issues with either

It does not matter if you have never had health issues. They could pop up down the road or be recessive. I could also question the abilities and lines of a breeder who cannot sex their chins.

If you don't want to breed you don't put a boy and a girl together...simple.

Unless you are prepared to do lots of work don't put them together.

If you don't know the health backgrounds/have pedigrees for chins, don't put them together.

Read all the way through the horror stories section and if that grosses you out don't put them together.

If you aren't prepared to handfeed them every two hours if they start fighting, if mom doesn't get milk in or mom dies - don't put them together.

If you aren't willing to take a chance the female could kill Bam Bam because she doesn't want to mate, don't put them together.

Unless you are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for an emergency c-section dont put them together.

See where I am going?

Last edited:
Like AZChins said, it would be a bad idea to breed them. Just becacuse nothing came up on your male chin, doesn't mean it won't come up later down the road or be passed down. Especially him being a petstore chin.

Play time together is also a bad idea, I wouldn't let them near each other at all. I would probably keep them in seprate rooms also.

Lots of genetic health issues can be recessive. And, sometimes the problems only occur with two chins that just happen to have the recessive genes. The parents can appear to be perfectly healthy and still produce sick offspring.

Another pressing issue with breeding is that females and males can and do hurt each other when placed together. One of the major risks in breeding is having a female or male attack the other one. Sometimes they do well and get along until the female goes into heat and then all **** breaks loose!

You could get the male fixed, but you still need to have them separated (you should have them on a 30 day quarantine already) for 6 weeks after the surgery to make sure all of his swimmers have died off.

okay so i know for a fact that bambam is a male there is no question there because i have pulled out a penis before checking for hair rings and last time i checked females dont have those. and pebbles isnt conforable with me enough yet to let me do that

If you are comfortable with getting him neutered that would be your only safe option if you absolutely wanted them to be together!
If you find a vet experienced with exotics you should be just fine.

Since you got a female when you wanted/specified a male, is there a chance that the breeder will exchange it for you???

I have four chins. I bought/adopted each animal with the intention of each of my chins having a buddy. That wasn't my only reason, I did want each and every one of them, but potentially bonding them was a big deciding factor on the gender I was buying/adopting.

All four of them have decided that they would rather be single and live alone. They do just fine without a chin companion. They are all VERY affectionate and bonded to me. Two of them actually get jealous when they see me giving attention to someone else.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you should think very carefully before breeding or neutering your male. Breeding would be a bad idea for the reasons that everyone else has listed. Neutering is a major surgery, there are always risks even with the best vet. So think about it carefully before you make any decisions. What if you get your male neutered and they don't get along? Are the risks worth it in your mind?

Just some food for thought.

Latest posts

Back