Hello from Chipper!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevnChip

Hi all! I'm Debbie and I have to finally admit I am owned by a chinchilla. ;) I'm a long time bird person that has recently become a chinchilla person. Chipper came to me about a year ago and he's well entrenched in my life at this point. A co-worker had this friend who got Chip for their 4 year old and then thought better of it. I resisted at first in taking him because I'm allergic to fuzzy things but, well, he's so darn cute! You know. You have one. So I sneeze. I have tissues.

I have to admit as well that I never thought they could be so full of personality. When you see them in the pet stores (I'm told that's the worst place to get one) they're so bored and bummed looking. Part of that is daytime is their sleep time, I'm sure, but it left me with the assumption that they don't make good pets. Boy did Chipper change that!

It took Chip all of 5 minutes to figure out that I was no threat and his main source of raisins. I fed him way too many that first week while I was learning about him. By the end of that week I could pick him up. I sometimes take him up to my master bath to run around at the end of the day when I get home and he wakes up. I love how he runs up the walls. It's been about a year and he's just getting used to me picking him up to take him there. He knows where he's going, I think.

In two weeks I was able to scratch the side of his jaw but not touch him anywhere else. I forget when that changed. I'm now able to touch him everywhere but his backside. He grunts at me when I do that and it's only been about two months since he stopped also running away when that happens. I took the attitude that he would tell me what he wanted and he does. Chipper calls the shots. If he wants me to touch him, he'll come to me and let me. If he doesn't, he won't come and I don't chase him. He was always curious and from the first would run up to me and over me during play time, but he distrusted my hands. When he grunts I withdraw and give him space. He believes me now. And he loves his scratches! Who says a chinchilla doesn't like to be petted? Chipper is all over it!! He tilts and twists and even stands up for belly scratches. My patience paid off in spades for both of us. :dance3:

So I'm pretty settled having done this for a year and having a happy chin as a result. I'm currently training my husband how to offer scratches and treats so Chip can enjoy both of us. After all, if he was opposed to Chip staying I'd still just be a bird person. I'm here to gather the pearls of wisdom offered by other chin people that isn't in the text books. Since chinchillas live as long as parrots, I figure I can use any info I can find. Thanks, in advance, for everything. :)

Welcome. :)

You have a very rare chin that enjoys petting, so enjoy him. Most chins like scritches, but not petting very much. He must be a special guy.

Welcome! My chin likes to be pet too. We have very rare babies.

Welcome!

I'm not sure how high his raisin consumption is these days, but you might want to have your husband train Chip with little pieces of shredded wheat squares instead. Most chins love them and they are much healthier. Just thought I'd mention it...;)

You are very lucky to have such a friendly easygoing guy. Glad you found us!

:hello:

:welcomewagon
I have three chins who are very very different from eachother. my oldest chin is 2 yrs old and she doesn't like picked up or petted all that much. my second chin is 4 months old and she is comming around. and third on ewl she was here first and she can come and get back scrathces and get a belly rub when she want's them. like chip maisy loves being petted. she ried a few days ago to steel the rasen box out of my had during playtime. but they are all good chins. in the beginning my other two i bought them home in june of this year and it took them awhile for them to warm up ot me. now it's differnt. chins are a very very courious animal. and i lvoe when mine are out playing. i have two children that are 5 and 3 and they lvoe them. when i get one to hold they pet them and talk to them as well. if you need places to get and chin supplies i can give ya sites that were given to me by my breeder when i got my first chin back in april. just leave me a messge in my box and i can get them out to you. :wave4::wink2::):thumbsup: and again welcome to chins and hedgies.. you'll ahve a blast being on here . everyone is helpful..

Shredded wheat squares! We don't eat them so I'll have to buy them special. Thanks for the tip. I'm always looking for something healthy I can give him more than a nibble of. I'm glad to hear he's not the only chin out there that likes to be touched. Just had him craning his neck for scratches under his chin this morning. He lets me know I'm doing it right by closing his eyes. So adorable!

Thanks for the warm welcome, Everyone! I'll dig up a pic and learn how to post it. :)

Latest posts

Back