Hedgie alergies: can I be alergic to only one?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiaSpice

Wheel Cleaner X2
I became friend with this girl I knew form another friend and I discovered she has and hedgehog too. So now I have someone to slip food with and talk about them... but that's not the point of my post.

Friday I went at her house and took Noisette, her hedgie, in my hand and I had 0 reaction. She's way more tame then Litchi so her quills were up, but could that be possible I'm only alergic to ONE hedgehog. I find that pretty weird cause usually when you're alergic to one speacie, you are to all for them.

Next week I'm going to help her trim her nails so that might be a better test, because my alergies are the worst when I trim Litchi's nail.

Anyone experienced this?

It's definitely possible to allergic to one animal and not another of the same species. My brother is allergic to some horses and not others. I thought hedgehogs were supposed to be hypoallergenic, though? My boyfriend is allergic to virtually every animal, but not Annabelle, so at least that's a good thing! :p

I thought hedgehogs were supposed to be hypoallergenic, though? My boyfriend is allergic to virtually every animal, but not Annabelle, so at least that's a good thing! :p
It's a myth that hedgehogs are hypoallergenic and I think some breeders have run with the idea in order to sell hedgehogs to allergy prone people. There are some people who have allergies to other pets that are fine with hedgehogs. There are also many people who have no allergies to anything but are allergic to hedgehogs. Depending on how long you have had Annabelle, your boyfriend my still become allergic to her. Allergies don't just immediately happen. They take time and exposure. I've had a few babies come back and taken in numerous re-homes because the owners became allergic. The most common time frame seems to be about 6 months.

I am allergic to both of mine, but to different degrees. Phoebe I can handle and play with and get only a mild reaction. Xander, on the other hand, makes my hands swell to the point where I've considered going to the hospital! He doesn't even have to poke me or bite me - it's enough for me just to stroke his quills. The way I see it, that's why God invented Benadryl. I should just buy stock in the company. ;)

Allergies don't just immediately happen. They take time and exposure. I've had a few babies come back and taken in numerous re-homes because the owners became allergic. The most common time frame seems to be about 6 months.
It took about a year before I started to be alergic to Litchi

The way I see it, that's why God invented Benadryl. I should just buy stock in the company. ;)
lol, yeah, thank god for Benadryl

Its definitely possible. I never had any kind of reaction ever to Snowball. But just about everytime I hold Luna I end up with a rash on whatever part of my body she's come in contact with. Its weird, and I'm not really allergic to anything other than an antibiotic I had once when I was little.

Back