Heat causing irritability

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTree

It got hot today and we don't have our air in yet, I'm moving my boys into the basement this next weekend when my boyfriend is here to help carry the cage down the steps. It's not too hot in the room, but I've noticed my boys are getting really irritable with each other. They're barking at each other more than usually. My mosaic started kacking at me when I came over to the cage. Is this normal? I usually have them in the basement by now so they don't have to deal with the heat but I haven't been able to get their cage down there yet. Should I be worried and do chins get cranky in hotter weather or is it just my boys?

How hot is hot? If they aren't used to warmer temperatures it can definitely make them cranky, if not make them overheat. You can put a tile or a piece of granite in the fridge/freezer and then put it in the cage so they can cool down, but nothing takes the place of an air conditioner.

Depending on the temperature, I would be worried. If it is higher than 75 I would move them to the basement ASAP or invest in an a used AC (craigslist is your friend in these situations) until you can get something better (or get them moved).

I'm in Jersey too and it got up to 90 yesterday & today, so I had to put the air on for my boys. I put it on 75 (cause it gets cooler at night) and put the ceiling fan on. But the room they are in is cool and the windows are covered

I live in the woods so fortunately it was 10 degrees cooler at my house than the rest of the area but it was still 80 degrees. They're ok though, I'm moving them down this weekend, no one would help me move them and I can't carry the cage down the stairs by myself and my dad refused to put the window units in just yet. So I had the windows open at night with a fan blowing to circulate the air then in the day I shut the windows and put the blinds down to keep the room cool. They're in my bedroom so I've been keeping an eye on them, they're just laying around but not panting or breathing heavy and they're eating, drinking and pooping like normal. My boyfriend comes down this weekend and he's going to help carry them into the basement, and I'll be moving down there with them, it's finished off with carpet, tile, painted walls, a refrigerator, sink, counter top, pool table, bed and other furniture. It's a home away from home that Andy knows all too well, since window units suck and we don't have the money to run the air all the time, he goes down there every summer and I follow mainly to keep him company.

Back