Heartbroken

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilliPepper

I don't post here much, but I did post about the GSD we rescued at the end of June. After having her evaluated by two very experienced trainers, we have an appointment monday to have her put to sleep. It has me turned in knots to make this decision, but I know it is the only safe one, because at some point, we will lose control of this dog and the results will be very bad. She is dog aggressive and people aggressive, has not bitten anyone yet, but did get loose and attack a dog walking by.
We love this dog, and she loves us. She is a clown and a goofball. When we first got her, she didn't play with toys, but has now learned (thanks to Lucy) that the stuffing makes a super fun mess when you pull it out of toys, lol. We put this decision off for a month because it was too hard to wrap our heads around it then. It is still too hard, but it is what it is. I have never lost an animal that was mine and the ones that belonged to my family were all old or sick. She is neither- 2 years old and healthy.
Do they know they are being killed when that shot goes in? The vet said it is our choice to be with her or not. I don't want to on one hand, but don't feel it is fair to her to just give her to the staff.
I feel like we are betraying her. We rescued her, let her get attached to us, and now we are going to kill her.
Sorry for the ramble, I just needed to let out some of this.

I'm so sorry you're faced with this situation. Is there any other alternative? I've heard that some aggression-prone individuals (esp. of this breed) do well in law enforcement. One I can think of from Ohio originally is a guard in a maximum security prison, and her ability to trust only select people would be an asset in that situation. It might be worth looking into as a last resort.

That said, if you're certain you can't see to it that she has an adequate life, often euthanasia is the kindest option for the animal. It just rips our guts out to have to make the choice. :( *Hugs*

They do not know they are being killed. They receive a anesthetic/sedative and are asleep when the actual euthanasia substance is administered. It is really the best way to go.

It is entirely up to you to stay with her. I, myself, even though it may be very hard, stay with my animals just because I wouldn't want to be alone when the time came. I also stay with clients animals if they choose not to, because to me, it just feels like the right thing to do.

I'm really sorry about the hard time you are going through.

Personally, I decided that if I were ever in this situation, I would stay with them. I decided that when I first saw this on PostSecret.com:
tumblr_kpwvq7eqIN1qzse3ho1_400.jpg

I'm so sorry you're faced with this situation. Is there any other alternative?
No alternative. Rescue said they don't want her. The trainer we went to today trains police dogs, said she is a really hard case. We know in our brains we must do the responsible thing. It is just so hard when we love her so much.
Thank you all for your kind words.

Update

So we got her to the vet and we couldn't do it. I am talking with a rescue org. in Southern CA now to see about placing her there. It is really amazing how much we can love an animal, even one we have not had that long. If I am acting like this about her, I think I may need drugs to get me through when it is my cat's time to go, although that may feel different since he is almost 15.

They do not know they are being killed. They receive a anesthetic/sedative and are asleep when the actual euthanasia substance is administered. It is really the best way to go.

Not every hospital sedates first. I worked for a jerk that never sedated. To play it safe, always ask.

There are some hardcore german shep people out there that might be able to help. Do a search on facebook. Good luck. I don't think I could euth either. Growing up we had an aggressive wirehair pointer. He learned to get up and go take a nap in a bedroom whenever company came over.

Another update:
Chloe retaliated to our small terrier mix instigating problems and broke skin on the little dog. a friend offered to take her that does extensive rehabilitation with shelter dogs. It felt weird to come home without her last night, but she has been there for 5 days and is making progress already. It is the best answer for her right now. Whether we will keep her after all is done, I don't know, because so much depends on if hubby and I stay together. Keep good thoughts for Chloe that she can become a stable dog, and get a third chance to enjoy her natural life span.

Please keep in mind the mike vick dogs were dog aggressive, not human aggressive. These are two totally different things. A dog aggressive dog does not mean it will harm a human, and can be a great pet with the right person. A human aggressive dog is a liabilty, and a big one if it would get out and attack someone. The only fear I have is with a human aggressive dog and rehoming..is that really a liablity you want to take and put into the hands of someone else?

Edit to add: Hopefully it works out with who she is with now, and she can re-train her. Good luck !

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying about the liability. However, any creature with teeth has the ability to lash out with teeth when angry, scared or frustrated, including humans. It will be a waiting game to see if leadership issues were the root of her lunging and barking. I think they are, based on what I know about the current situation in my home. This is not a stable home, there is a lot of unhappiness here right now. She is in the best place she could be right now except for being reduced to ashes. Her future is still uncertain, but I am hoping this is the answer she needs, because I am willing to say goodbye to her if we are the wrong people to give her a good, stable life.

If it comes down to a rescue or euthanizing, I vote euthanize. It's not a bad way to go, and I'd hate to see space and financial resources used for a dog who is both human and dog agressive with little chance for adoption when they could be better used on more than one dog who was given up due to non-agression reasons that has a great chance at being safely placed.

Latest posts

Back