Head Tilt

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagna

Chin lover
I just received a request from a shelter to take in a chin they found as a stray. She has head tilt and it sounds like their vet did not find anything.

I know ear infections or neurological issues can cause this or even an injury.

I will take her to my vet once my volunteer has picked her up but is there anything else it could be? Or anything I should be aware of?

Since the chin was found as a stray, more things can cause it than normal. Bacterial infections, fungal infections, parasitic infections, trauma, toxicity from pesticides or fertilizers, stroke from stress, etc. If it was my chin I would have to see if the chin has other symtoms to get a feel of what was going on, see if the chin could even survive diagnosis and treatment. If the chin was "viable" I would get a CT scan and blood work, have the vet see if there was any discharge from the ear to be checked for bacteria, fungus or parasites and I may want to try baytril and flagyl together if nothing was able to be tested. If the chin was not eating, it would be fed and I would want a anti-nausea drug and metecam for inflamation.

Without knowing the history of the chin, aside from all, already mentioned, it could be listeria too, which can cause head tilt. Is there any other symptoms aside from head tilt? I would look at neurological issues or an infection that has gone to the brain or an ear infection/damage to the ear canal. If an infection is found or listeria, chloramphenicol is a good treatment of choice for these types of issues.

Thanks Dawn. I will bring all that up when I see my vet. I will know more once she gets transported from the shelter. Then I can see what other symptoms are going on.

No details really Serena. They just emailed me to say that she was found April 7th and the vet said they can do nothing further. I will try to get details on what their vet did.

Last edited:
I should state why baytril and flagyl, baytril is generally all right with aerobic gram negative and gram positive bacteria but shows little if any efficacy against anaerobic bacteria. Flagyl has good efficacy against anaerobic, and is a parasitic. My vet will regularly prescribe a combination of Baytril and Flagyl to broaden the spectrum when the specific bacterium is not readily known. It is the best combo for any head infections in chins, dental or otherwise.

Here is the pic of her that the shelter sent to me:

photo3gg.jpg

AND another shelter needs help too with a 5 month old chin....Thank goodness for great foster homes! lol!

If there's no infection, he may just be that way. I'd take him to my vet and get another diagnosis and figure out what to do at that point. I don't see any runny eyes or nose or anything...so he just could be in stable condition with a head tilt. Could you take him to your vet for a second opinion? Don't give him any meds until you know there is a problem.

I agree with Susan. Get a second opinion. :)
If there is no infection, you do not need to treat at all. I have seen chinchillas who have head tilt with no infection or bacterial issue present.

One chin in particular, always had a head tilt at his owner's home, but had no health issues, because he had had damage to his inner ear canal when he was a baby at their home.

He had no infection or anything else, and he lived a good life, being spoiled rotten by his owners. It is why I had mentioned there could have just been damage to his ear canal. A second opinion would be helpful to ensure she gets the best care possible.

Quick update, my foster has her and she is very active even with the head tilt. Vet appointment is set and hopefully we will know more soon.

What is actually head tilt? I am assuming that there head is just either constantly or stuck in a tilted position, but I have never heard of this. Can you elaborate for us less knowledgeable :).

Miguel it's just that, a head tilt. Dale has a head tilt, he holds his head at a slight angle almost constantly. He also moves in circles as opposed to straight lines. His tilt was caused by ear infections when he was young so his equilibrium is a little off. He has more energy than I have ever seen in a critter so small. He's also completely deaf, has a hunchback and was anorexic when he first came here. He's been here for about 9 months and has been steadily improving.

Hopefully this little guy just has a head tilt and nothing else more serious going on.

This is kind of a crappy pic, but that's about the normal position of his head.

Attachments

• IMAG0718.jpg
    IMAG0718.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 16
Thanks Becky for elaborating for us, that is very interesting, I wonder if that is possible with other animals or even people.

Head tilt is a symptom of a issue with the vestibular system-the vestibular system gives the chin balance and sense of direction and consists of the inner ear and brain stem. A problem with either if those items can cause head tilt as a symptom along with other symptoms, in itself head tilt is not a disease.

Last edited:
So just to update, the chin is super active! Looks really good, other than the head tilt, but her teeth are orange, her fur is clean, her feet are perfect and nothing looking at her suggests she really was a stray.

She is a bit gassy and her poop is formed but just small.

So doing a fecal and the vet prescribed TMS. Baytril was considered but with her being gassy and the chance of her going off food TMS was the choice.

Will get fecal results soon and see if anything else is up.

Her foster mom says she is super active and eating tons.

Latest posts

Back