Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouncer36

What brand of Timothy hay Is the best kind to get? I have mine chin on oxbow Timothy hay but he doesn't seem to like it

God Is Good And His Love Last Forever

I recently switched my girl from oxbow to American pet diner hay and she absolutely loves it!

What ever is freshest and cheapest/easiest for you to get. Hay shouldn't really vary much by brand, as long as there aren't additives like carrot shavings or herbs. It could be that in your area oxbow doesn't sell enough to be as fresh, or something? I know many people use oxbow hay and are fine with it. Near me, Dupree is the company with the cheapest freshest hay that isn't in a bale (about $7 for 3 pounds) from TSC). I still go through all the bags they have in stock to see which had the biggest pieces and what's greenest (some bags just have more brown or have been chopped smaller) Something I'm looking into and I know other people have done is buy a bale from someone local. Make sure it's horse quality and hasn't been rained on. I haven't done it yet because I've got one chin and he's fussy about hay if it doesn't still smell fresh. I wouldn't want the bale to loose the fresh scent and have him refuse it, but bales here are the same price as a 3 pound bag.

I have a hay question as well, mind if I jump in Bouncer36?

I just purchased some Timothy with marigolds. Bad idea? I can't remember if this is on the safe for chins list, and have read so much lately I don't remember where I found that info :/

Thanks in advance for the help!

Personally, I'd avoid the hay with things added into it, as you want them to eat the hay not the "treats".
That's me personally though.

As far as what brand is best... which ever you can get locally that they will eat. If you can't get him to eat the oxbow you might try different brands until you find one he does like.

I have a hay question as well, mind if I jump in Bouncer36?

I just purchased some Timothy with marigolds. Bad idea? I can't remember if this is on the safe for chins list, and have read so much lately I don't remember where I found that info :/

Thanks in advance for the help!

No I don't mind

There are many good brands out there but what is most important is that the hay is fresh, smells fragrant and not musty, and is free of mold and excess moisture. As for me, I purchase horse quality Timothy hay from my local feed store. I buy a bale at a time but some feed stores will sell by the flake if you only have a couple chins. It's cheaper to purchase it from a feed store, if they have access to good quality hay. Here in CA with the drought, Timothy hay has been hard to find this year. My feed store has to truck it in from Oregon.

Ok so I tried oxbow and kaytee brand of Timothy hay it no go on both. Found a bag of virakraft brand going to try it

I've used Oxbow, National Geographic, and KMS.

Oxbow was alright and they liked it, but I was looking to buy larger bags so I went and got KMS. The chins ate both of them but they wasted a lot. KMS also came in really long straw-like pieces that I had to cut up in order to give it to them.

I bought Nat. Geo. just to see how they felt about it. They didn't seem pleased with it.

After all of that, I bought Small Pet Select. Best hay ever... I am so happy with it that I will not be buying any other brand for timothy hay. It's the greenest that I've seen, smells great, and the chins don't waste any. They eat every bit that I give them and it's amazing. They have a lot of sales/coupons as well. I would definitely recommend you try it. :]

You have to order Small Pet Select online. They have a bunch of coupons so you can often get money off. :)

Some chins just don't eat much hay ive found. While others love it. My daddy chin Chico, only eats a very very small amount of it. Meanwhile his daughter Ameena, will devour any hay i give her.

Latest posts

Back