hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiniiBamBam

Keeper of BamBam :D
i know sunseed is a bad food brand for chinchillas but is their timothy hay okayy????

Hay of any brand is OK as long as the chin eats it and the hay is not moldy. May not be good on the owners pocket book since pet store hay is really expensive!

The only thing I would say that might be bad about Sunseed hay is that it tends to be stale and stiff. I like a hay that is soft when I hold it, and a lot of hays that you get in pet stores, especially the tiny bags, tend to have stiff, crunchy hay. It doesn't mean that it's bad, it's just not as fresh as hay you might get from other places.

Just as an FYI for the maker of the thread, Kaytee tends to be stale and stiff as well, which means the chins are much pickier about it. If your chin is eating the Sunseed well, I say stick with it. If they are picky about it I would switch them to a higher quality hay such as Oxbow. I've always lived by the creed "The best hay is the hay your chinchilla will actually eat".

okay thank you everyonee im going to get oxbow food and hay from now on because i have heard a lot about it and its all every good but one thing i do have to ask is what should i do with all the food/pellets i already have because i want to switch to oxbow

if i recall, you just switched from Kaytee Fiesta to Mazuri pellets, didn't you? i'd stick with those for a while and see how your chin does on them. switching up the food often isn't good for their systems. Mazuri is a good food, i've read about quite a few members here using it with no issues.

Oxbow hay is good, and about 75% of Rhino's hay is that brand. try out the orchard grass, most chins really like it.

Latest posts

Back