Hay holders and feeders?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morganpanda

I have gone to THREE pet shops to find hay holders that aren't plastic (you'd think this is a simple request?). Petsmart had a wooden hay holder, but it didn't seem very large, and I have a feeling if a chewer were to be in the cage- that wooden hay holder wouldn't stand a change since I could even puncture the wood with my fingernail.

Idealy, I'd like to have a metal hay holder- or something of those sorts, that'll last a long while and will hold the hay together mess-free. I'm having a really hard time finding these and I don't think it's a HUGE request.

What hay holders do you guys have in your cages?

I'd like one that attaches to the side of the cage somehow incase my chinchilla wants to knock over the hay- since it wont be on the first floor.

And where did you all get yours??

Some people use terra cotta flower pots. Also, there are some vendors on here who make wooden hay holders. Its nice since they can chew on them and it will still hold hay.

My boys have a custom decorated hay holder from Christine at Twilight. She has a thread in the sale section. They love it because it's sturdy enough for them to sit on and they can chew it. It's also nice that it has the top opening and a large side opening, so they can both pull hay out at the same time.

I have instructions on how to make a wooden feeder that hangs on the outside of the cage and they pull it through the wire underway. I just need to get the pics downloaded. I love them, easy to fill without getting into the cage, which I love. Will try to get it uploaded tomorrow!

I use one of those small super pet ceramic bath houses. It holds a lot of hay, is very loud when my chin decides to throw it into the side of her cage.

I also use a fleece hay bag I made. My chin really likes to sit on her ledge and eat from her baggie.

I would really love to see the tutorial for the wooden hay holder Riven is hinting at ;)

I'll upload a picture that I took of the one I made of some poplar wood from Home Depot in just a second, it works great :)

Edit: The Home Depot in my area has pre-cut sizes of wood, I just go there, buy them, scrub em down, put them in the oven, and use non-toxic glue...I believe the brand is Titebond. Everything together came to like, 10 dollars or something like that. At first I just had three pieces of wood, the back,bottom,and front piece...but I found my older chinchilla liked to pee in it when I wasn't around to make sure he didn't. So I got a piece to put across the top. They sit on it a lot but the glue has a very good bond with the wood, so it doesn't break or anything. And he's a fatty...almost 700grams, lol. But yeah, just dump it out in the morning, fresh stuff goes in, then I fill it throughout the day if I find it getting a little low! works great for me :)

As far as the feeder goes, I have one made of metal. I used to use a porcelain bowl but got tired of them turning it over, haha. There were some cuts in my cage for the feeder to slide through, and the poopguards on the shelves make sure that no poop gets in their feeder through the top!

Attachments

• IMG_20130327_234544.jpg
    IMG_20130327_234544.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 61
i bought i metal hay holder from tractor supply. it works great and my 2 boys dont have any problems with it. i think i gave 7 bucks for it.

I've been meaning to post these picture for a while, this is probably a good thread to do so. The first picture, with Louie on the wooden petsmart hay hold, was taken January 19... and the second was taken February 20, I had already had it out of the cage for a few weeks before I took the pic.

I took it out because I noticed a funny wearing pattern on his teeth and was worried the wood might be causing it, and as much as he enjoyed chewing on that thing... he has more than enough other options in his cage and the edges were becoming sharp. I'm doing a bunch of my own designs to the cage as far as layout and accessories and one of the things I'm working on is making my own design for a hay holder for the boys that cuts back on mess and functions well. I don't want a fleece bottom anymore because I really don't think Louie likes it, he has ripped up the liner in a corner of his cage and is sleeping on the plastic pan that comes with the FN/CN. Maybe try out the tile method I had seen others use here...I have some brainstorming to do, I'll share my design here if I think of anything good, that also works.

Also another thing I think that is important to share to new chin owners, from a new chin owner... Even if your chin isn't chewing plastic or another specific object, does not mean they won't down the road. I had noticed that Louie could show little to no interest in an object for months, then one day become obsessed and have it destroyed in less than a day. The barbell at the bottom corner of the first photo I ordered from AZchins, it is a great little toy he loved to throw around and nibble a bit but nothing crazy. It is like a dumbbell with sliding piece on it. I came home from work (ONLY 8 hrs) and it was in 5 pieces all over his cage. So even though Lou doesn't chew plastic, no way I'll trust him not to change his mind and go to town, even with other way better options around.

This is a link that shows the apple barbell:
http://chinstore.azchins.com/apple.htm

Attachments

• IMG_6832.jpg
    IMG_6832.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7338.jpg
    IMG_7338.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7340.jpg
    IMG_7340.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 23
Thank you EVERYONE for the amazing suggestions! Such creativity. :)

The breeder that I'm picking up Sigma from has extra metal hay holders and I'll just be adding that to the "shopping bag" when I pick him up. I love the custom wood holders, but they do get pricey for something my chinchilla is just going to chew to bits. :/

They're brilliant, though!

So excited for Siggy! The cage is all setup and basically I have everything I need minus the stuff that I'm going to be picking up from the breeder's when I get him. :D

Latest posts

Back