Hay Holder

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaDi

You Have No Idea!
What do you all use for your hay?

I saw these awesome wire things at Petsmart in the cages and the chins get the hay out of it... but they dont sell them! I would like to get something I could hang on the wall so it doesnt get all mixed in the bedding!

I use wooden boxes that attach to the side of the cage. The top is open and there is a hole in the front for them to pull the hay out. The place I got mine online seems to be currently not doing orders... but I know there are a few others that sell similar hay holders. Simply Chintastic for example has some listed on their site to get an idea of what I am talking about.

I had metal before I switched to wooden. I prefer the wooden ones because it also provides something for them to chew on as well as their toys(as if they don't have enough!). I also like the look of the wooden ones better for some odd reason. Twilight Chinchillas makes some amazing custom wood pieces including hay holders!
But I've also heard of people using flower pots so the chin can't drag it around the cage.

I have used wooden ones myself, but haven't found a good and safe metal version. I personally would go with a wood version. I know others have used terra cotta flower pots, coffee mugs, or large food bowls to hold hay.

I tried the wire ones, but the chins just pulled all the hay out all over the floor anyway (they always search for the best pieces lol). So I just put the hay in a pile in the corner and that seems to work just fine. It mostly stays there.

Latest posts

Back