Hay cubes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

I used to give my chins hay cubes as a treat. They do get regular timothy hay. They seem interested in it then they wouldn't touch it again. The cubes will be at the bottom of the cage peed and poop on. People that just feed cubes do you just keep throwing them away after a couple of days. It seems 50 lbs in 2 months is a waste for about 55 chins.

Hay they don't eat gets thrown out every day.

Last edited:
i give my chins hay, hay pellets and hay cubes. i freely give the regular hay and only give cubes and pellets as needed because they do have the normal hay.

I give cubes once a week and any remaining when I clean cages just gets thrown away. If they're going to eat it, they normally eat it in the first couple days.

I rotate hay cubes and loose hay. 1st day is loose hay, next day I give cubes and any hay on the floor is removed. If there is any hay left in the hay boxes it stays. Then when I give loose hay the following day, any remaining cubes stay in the cage. However, the next day that I give cubes, if there are any cubes still in the cage then I throw them out.
Some of mine like cubes more than others so I usually give them more than I do those who don't care for them.

I might end up drilling holes in them and put them on a chain with apple coins/whirlies to make toys.

My youngest chin likes them. My older two ignore it. James thinks they're a treat.

I've haven't tried them yet, but I think they'd be good once in a while for more variety. :)

Back