hay being wasted

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

<3chinbaby

Hi, I've been having trouble with hay being wasted because every time my chins pulls out a single hay, a bunch of hay comes along with it and falls to the bedding. I've tried putting the hay that falls back into the hay box but they just don't eat it. I'm assuming it's because it gets peed and pooed on.

I dispose these wasted hay every 3 days. In two weeks worth of time, my standard paper grocery bag from trader joes is filled with hay. Hay isn't that expensive ($30 for a large bag) but about half of the bag is being thrown away which is such a waste. What kind of hay box do you guys use to keep this from happening? Any tips?

This is always a question with chin owners, and no matter what kind of box you have, a chin is always going to pull out peices looking for the "perfect" one.

Where ever you are paying $30 for a paper bag of hay is ripping you off, horribly. Find a feed store and pay $10 for a full bale of hay (just make sure it looks decent and is a grass hay). These will weigh 70-100lbs depending on your location.

The only solution I've found is to give less hay more often. I fill the hay dishes at night before I go to bed and in the morning when I get up. If they are empty when I get home from work in the afternoon, I'll fill them up then too, but they usually still have some left that they didn't eat that morning.

If I put a bunch of hay in there at once, they just have a party with it and get it everywhere. I like to give it to them several times throughout the day because it gives me a chance to interact with them a bit, and while I'm there I can clean up a little, check/refill water bottles, make sure everyone looks okay and isn't having any problems.

I agree with Chinmama. I give only small amounts I know they will eat along with plenty of feed. One thing I might mention to you. Some chins are very picky about the hay they eat. I've tried the Ag store hay and store bought Kaytee. They throw most of it on the floor despite small amounts. I switched to Oxbow and they eat it all. And I do mean all of it. It is a bit more expensive however I don't have the waste. And I don't use a hay box. I place it on the favorite part of their shelves within the cage.

So are they fairly secure when attached to the cages or are the chins able to wiggle them loose? I have a couple boys that are pure rotten and if its not nailed down it moves..lol!

I've had mine on there for over a year now and it has never even budged. My boys get pretty rowdy, too. I've even tried to wiggle it off, but it stays put.

Awesome..thanks for the info :) I may have to order me some. Right now I have my hay in square metal mesh pencil holders..we cut holes in the side and attached them with bolts/washers

I have those types of hay bins as well. I think it depends on the chin though, or atleast for me it did. Because when I had that type on Mei and Kona's cage, they just pulled all the hay through the cage bars and it didn't keep them from wasting a bunch. But when it was on MuShu's cage she didn't pull it all through.

So for me, I've found that I just keep trying until I find one that works. But for me it works since eventually the one that didn't work will get used anyways. So it might not work for someone with just one chin.

I have a spin ball type feeder that works well but there is also a lot of hay that ends up underneath it so I cut a box to fit underneath, taller backside, short front side, and it most of the hay falls within the box. She has pulled the box away a few times but is now leaving it alone for the most part. If I need to, I could attach the box to the cage to make it secure. At least it keeps most of the hay out of the bedding.

Back