Hay and Teeth Wear ? and a pleasant tooth story

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolyphinm

So Bria had her second filing for her molars as I noticed she was not eating as many pellets and had lost 40 grams over 2 months. She had the same formation as before, just not as severe since I caught it earlier this time. Her molars get points that begin to cover her tongue. Are there any types of hay that might help with this?

And I can happily report its not a root issue for her teeth :dance2: So I am hopeful of her still having a long life since she is only 3 and my first chinnie. I can deal with a yearly filing and she doesn't stress as easily as other chins do so I think she can deal too. I was afraid after the first one that I would only have another 2 years with her.

Sadly it was with a different Vet. The owner and head Vet was handling most of it, but she is more of a bird exotics vet. Our vet moved far far away :hair: But I trusted the head vet with anesthesia and filing so I let Bria be a teaching aid. 2 new vets were helping with the procedure and well Chin vets got to start somewhere. The one vet was diligent with my dog so I trusted her. Everyone wanted to hold her as is the case whenever she goes in. They even gave her her own wing to keep her less stressed and away from any other animals and she got a Bravery Certificate too. She is already chewing away at apple sticks.

I have heard that oat hay is very coarse and 'might' help with wearing down teeth. I'm glad her vet visit wasn't too stressful and she's already chewing on apple sticks. You must be so relieved that she'll probably only need yearly filings instead of every six weeks or so which I'd think would be really hard on them and you.

That is great news for Bria and you. :)) I tried oat hay a while ago and my 2 older boys wouldn't touch it but my other 2 younger ones loved it. Definitely try it and hopefully Bria will like it.

Back