has anyonoe ever used this site

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not everything listed on the nwichinchilla site is good. I wouldn't feed any animal anything made by Vitakraft.

The only thing on my website made by vitacraft is the nibble rings. We give the nibble rings in moderation (as the website advises people to do, with anything other than the wood treats), probably not more than 1 ring per month per chin, as we hardly ever give any treats (we mostly give wood sticks or refill hanging chew toys). Anyway, here's my question - what else do you see on there that's not safe?

I agree that stuff can be found cheaper from buying from suppliers, but I have that page up there because a lot of my adoptive homes don't want to buy everything online. Even I get sick tired of always having to have everything shipped in, even if I'm getting considerably more for my money. Some people refuse to buy online, so I'm just trying to give them safe options of things they can buy at the pet store.

And as for the nibble rings... I am aware that corn is the first ingredient. I know it's a filler, I know it's not easily digestible... but knowing that, I still eat it because I still like it. I realize I'm not a chin, but, given in moderation, the amount of corn that's in one of those rings seems like it wouldn't do much harm. I'm not saying nibble rings are a nutritious snack to give your chin everyday, the way a human child should eat their leafy greens, but as the occasional treat, other than the corn (which I can see some people objecting to), there's nothing else in them that I see a problem with.

if there only once a month doesn't that render them pointless?

They're not meant for any specific purpose. If I was trying to give them to achieve weight gain or something else, then yes, you'd give more frequent. I buy a can of shoestring potato chips once a month. I know they're unhealthy for me, and if I had them around all the time, I'd probably weigh 400 pounds. But once a month, I can let myself have a can. I enjoy it, even though it's only once a month.

I should explain, on the once a month thing - they get the nibble rings once a month, but that's because we rotate what we give. Maybe one week they'll get some cheerios and oats. The following week maybe they all get a shreddie. Following week, maybe a rosebud or rosehip for all. So each week, they get a different treat, so there's some variety, and that way, all the treats are given in moderation, because none are given very often.

As a treat once a week or so, there's nothing wrong with Nibble Rings - the amount of work a chin has to do to eat them (because they are so hard) is beneficial & I have never seen anyone express concerns with gut issues with Nibble rings either.

There are many on this forum who happily feed their chins Cheerios - comparing the ingredients of both products (according to the manufacturer's site Cheerios contain corn, sugar, partially inverted brown sugar syrup, & salt) - I would much rather use Nibble Rings than Cheerios. *shrugs*

i give cheerios and scince this is healthier for them and its good for chewing (mines not a big chewer) this wouldnt be terrible?

Dawn, the box of Cheerios in my cupboard does not have corn or partially inverted brown sugar syrup in the ingredient list. I wonder what the heck is up with that.

Dawn, the box of Cheerios in my cupboard does not have corn or partially inverted brown sugar syrup in the ingredient list. I wonder what the heck is up with that.

Dawn? Why are people calling me Dawn? :wacko:

It looks like the ingredients for standard Cheerios in the US are slightly different to the UK but they still contain modified corn starch, salt & sugar ........ the multi grain cheerios contain corn, sugar, brown sugar syrup, salt.

My point remains that Nibble Rings are not as bad as some of the stuff people seem happy to feed their chins. Personally I wouldn't feed Cheerios - of any variety. *shrug*

Back