has anyonoe ever used this site

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feel like I just visited Petco or Petsmart. Why don't you buy from our people from this forum? They have the top quality and safest stuff for our cuties and the best prices.

The person who runs that site is a member here and quite knowledgeable. If you have questions about anything specific you can always ask. Buying from vendors on here definitely is better for your chin, they like it more and will save you money.

I think that site is a great idea. I didnt see anything on there that is dangerous to chins. The website owner points out that everything she lists should be used in moderation which is the most important point. The site was created with the idea in mind that not everyone can or will order things online or has access to them elsewhere than a commercial pet store. She is trying to educate people on which commercially available items are safe. What are you referring to that isn't safe?

Both of your links take us to a wide variety of products. Some safe, and some not safe. Which products did your brother pick up?

Ive used the hamburger :) and chinny loves it...

there are many good treats here I
have been looking a in the classified and so much fresher looking

Last edited:
Its hard to find safe treats for chins at pet stores. I feel your pain..before I started ordering on here it was a nightmare trying to find safe things. The first ingredient in those ones are corn which isn't easily digestable by chins and can cause some stomach upset. The Oxbow treats listed on her site are safe..in moderation of course. Moderation meaning 1-2x per week. The Hamburger is safe...Loofah and wood is fine. If anything says that it is "fruit flavored" then probably avoid it. Yogurt drops are another huge no no. From pet stores I would say stick with loofa, wood, lava ledges and bites, and Oxbow treats.

Not everything listed on the nwichinchilla site is good. I wouldn't feed any animal anything made by Vitakraft.

Multiple ingredients aren't good. Especially when it says "fruit flavors". That means there is some type of sugar which they can't have. A good alternative is pumice stone or blue cloud rocks which they just started selling at petco as part of their "natural toy" selection

I wouldn't feed any animal anything made by Vitakraft.
Normally I would agree but, TBF, Vitakraft nibble rings are fine - we use them here in the UK with no problems (as a treat). They are alfalfa based & very crunchy so make a good healthy, no sugar treat which chins have to work for. I also have to say the Vitakraft VitaVerde hays are pretty well liked too - I use them as an occasional treat.

just out of cutiosity why are these not safe? http://www.petco.com/product/106771...al-Chews.aspx?CoreCat=ChinchillaHPTreatsChews i saw a member using them (forgot who) looked at the ingredients and they dont seem bad. oppinions?

they look really cute but me personally I see some ing that I would worry about

Ground sea shell, ground limestone, tapioca starch binder, food coloring, fruit flavors, sugar, flour, eryth rosine, tartrazine, sunset yellow FCF, brilliant blue FCF.

seems to be a starchy product and not sure how much sugar is in it....

People really feed that crap to their chins? My bird food supplier has included "treats" like those with my order as I guess a bonus and I always throw them away.

Back