Hanging bottles for quads...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a set of quads that I had to rotate with a first time mom. Little demons were fighting. She did a great job. When they were old enough and eating hay I didn't have to worry anymore.
My rotation was two in and two out every two hours and switch. Placed those rotated out in a box with an older model heating pad. ( modern heating pads shut themselves off ) Half side of the box had heat and the other none. Fleece lined box.
I did hang a bottle of 50/50 water and apple juice for a couple days. Fresh twice a day of course. But thank goodness I didn't have to hang a milk bottle.

The one time I hung a milk bottle was with a mother who had no milk. I used water mixed with canned goats milk from Walmart. Powder works good too.

I don't think there is any "one" way...just as long as they are thriving with weight gain and no one has wounds.
Best of luck. It's hair raising isn't it??

Honestly they really haven't been too much at all. I think I make myself worry too much just because I worry about them and just want to do the best I can for them. I think I got overly paranoid...lol At least in this instance anyway. I am sure there are many situations with quads that really are difficult though. Each one is a different experience.
:)

I have a lot of powdered goats milk if you would like some. Its more than I need, so PM me and let me know. Its on me as well. ;)

Javachin you are AWESOME!!!! Thanks again! Everyone was up again in weight today too BTW except for the mosaic girl who remained the same. Will keep a close eye but she didn't loose either so we will see how they weigh in tomorrow and go from there...

We have had two litters of quads and three litters of triplets this year. With one of the triplet litters the mom did not have much milk at all. The kits were nearly two weeks old before they gained back to their birth weight. When they were three weeks old the mom became very aggressive with them and we had to separate the kits from mom. We hung goats milk on the cage and they drank it readily. We warmed it up several times a day. Every time we warmed it they were anxiously waiting when we returned with it. We eventually had to hang three bottle to keep them from fighting over it. We also added a small amount of Dyne to the goats milk. They are all weaned now and doing great (all are over 300 grams at 3 months).

Everyone is fat, happy and sassy! I will try and get ya'all some updated pics soon. The one little mosaic girl is already changing so fast and she is getting a really cute dark area across the base of her neck. Their names are Rex, Byron, Jordanna and Gabriella.

In honor of these 4 officially being weaned today here are their pics. (Better late than never...)

Attachments

• JORDANNA.jpg
    JORDANNA.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 14
  • GABRIELLA.jpg
    GABRIELLA.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 14
  • BYRON.jpg
    BYRON.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 13
  • REX.jpg
    REX.jpg