Hair ring check.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sydneytaylorr

Well I decided that I was going to try and check my chinchilla for a hair ring check.. So I put mickeys' back against my belly, and held him with one hand. So I tried to get his penis out of its sheath but I had a real hard time with it. I ended up not even getting it out, it just wouldn't come out.. But it was my first time checking for a hair ring. I don't really know how to work it out though.. I was scared I would hurt him or something.. Any techniques to explain (I looked up some videos but I couldn't really make out what they were doing exactly to get it out..) any help would be great! thanks!

I did a check yesterday, one was all good and one had a nasty green lookin hair ring! Anyway, i just pull the skin back until the head is exposed and then gently pull it out by the tip and usually have no problems. Getting back in is more of a challenge for me.

I'm positive he is a boy... I seen the testicles and the penis with the sheath but I will post a picture of you guys as well.

Male and females have the same external genitalia the only difference is inbetween the penis looking part and the anus males have a space and females have a small hole or slit. I would post some pictures of the chinchillas genitalia it takes some experience to tell the difference in most small animals. Female chins have what looks like a penis but it isn't it's just for show I guess lol.

Hair ring check?! Op. I suppose I should do that now. Thanks for the update guys, I didn't know chins did this.
But... this ought to be a challenge. Both my boys don't like to stay put. -.-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the age of the chin might make a difference. I had a lot of trouble doing checks on my boys until they were about 5 or 6 months old. Now it's a lot easier, it comes right out

To take the picture of the genitalia, set the chin on a table. Grasp the chin by the base of the tail and gently lift only the back legs off of the table. Snap your picture.

I saw my chin cleaned himself last week, he had his private part all the way out, so I guess I don't have to worry about it for a while right? Since he did it himself?

One of my boys has his penis tip hanging out, ever since I got him. Is that indication, that he might has a hair ring? He eats, plays and seems happy. He is only five months old and I thought, not to worry about until they are about a year old; but after reading ticklechin's chin was only 11 weeks old and he has had his first hair ring, kind of changes the scenario of waiting for them to be older. Also sitting in the same boot as robotsATTACK, they don't like to hold still, I only had them for a week and they don't even let me pick them up yet.*

Had a question, didn't want to make another thread.

What are some of the signs that a chin might have a hair ring?

Had a question, didn't want to make another thread.

What are some of the signs that a chin might have a hair ring?

Excessive grooming of the penis is usually a way to tell if there is a possible hair ring. Sometimes there is no way to tell till you actually check. I agree with everyone posting that it is easier to do with 2 people, one holding the chin and the other checking.. And to the OP, I was so nervous I was hurting my chin the first time I tried to do a check. :wacko: It's over pretty quick tho and then you can give them a little treat or stick to make amends for the trespass.

Back