grooming comb

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
does anyone have a used grooming comb they no longer need that they would like to sell??? im just looking for a simple one to make my babies look a little better. i do not show them so i dont need the serious combs. if you do please pm with a price and shipping quote to 39426

At the sake of being complicated, nothing compares to a chin comb, they have pointy tips which allow you to go through the fur without pulling live fur. I've personally never had luck with any other comb type, even a greyhound comb which some ranchers use for rough grooming.

$30 for a comb is nothing compared to having a dog groomed at a groomer. I do believe that Jordan had some cheaper plastic combs for sale in the classified as well, but not sure if he still has any or not. If you have 20 chins, that's less than $2 per chin. It's not just about making them look better, it's about them feeling better and getting better dust bathes by getting the dead fur out.

The problem is pet owners don't know how to groom a chin properly, so IMO the comb does not need to be a chin comb to get some dead fur out. I have seen pet owner groomed chins who had no clue with a chin comb and they looked like they got whacked with a weed whacker..

Last I checked there was a readily available grooming video and Tara has a very nice, very easy to see grooming video on youtube. ;)

I prefer a chin comb to anything else, but that's because with the plastic combs you tend to get more fur slips. For a pet owner, I see no problem with a plastic comb. To each their own.

Not saying I can't groom, I groomed Rider and Gino for the state show and they both got first place. I was trained by a long time show participant. On another forum, a show person did a video and the pet owners freaked out at the "technique" and the groom video was removed. Pet owners barely want to hold their chins let alone hold them upside down by the tail and groom. Tunes said a flea comb is fine for a pet owner in the past here so its not like my own made up idea to use it.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6825&highlight=flea+comb

Last edited:
On another forum, a show person did a video and the pet owners freaked out at the "technique" and the groom video was removed.
I get that a lot on YouTube, I delete the comment and ban them from my channel. :D

I've never had luck with any other type of comb, particularly the plastic ones. I swear they hold a static charge or something, when I touch them I get shocked and the fur goes every direction and it's just a mess.

No one said you made it up, I even stated that a lot of ranchers use a greyhound comb. I think if you're going to own chins knowing how to properly groom them goes along with proper feed and dust. I also think people need to handle their chins instead of worrying that holding them will make them not like them. People don't buy a poodle expecting they'll never have to groom it, some chins need groomed, some don't. Knowing how is no different than knowing how to do a hair ring check properly whether you do it weekly, monthly, or yearly, it's still something that people should be aware of.

yea,
tara did briefly show me how to groom a chin. i have a comb that i was using but it pulled out a good bit of hair and i was scared to use it anymore..thinking that i was hurting them but maybe it was suppose to be doing that......

lol and that was one killer chinchilla omg

Last edited:
Even with the correct comb some people comb to much fur out. The idea is to stand the fur up straight while getting out some old fur without over combing them. Too many times over the same area no matter what comb and you will have a balding chin.

I'm glad that Tara's video was posted, now I don't feel so badly about how I handle Bessie most of the time. She just wants nothing to do with being held.

Just as a general question - how do you know if you are actually hurting them?

So here's a question and something I'm a bit confused about because I've seen it done both ways. Do you groom the chin with the comb held at an angle and sort of brush through, or do you hold the comb flat against the back and comb straight up? If that makes sense...

Just as a general question - how do you know if you are actually hurting them?
You'll smell it - they'll release the scent glands located in the rear. They'll also drop clumps of fur far more easliy.

They sometimes also scream, but that is more that they're disgruntled than terrified.

Do you groom the chin with the comb held at an angle and sort of brush through in one motion, or do you hold the comb flat against the back and comb straight up?
This depends on the density of the fur and the conditions (static/no static) of the environment. Upwards during times of static leaves the fur strait and poofy vs. flat. If you've got normal conditions on the back fur you can comb level with the chin or strait up. Head/Neck area is also strait up. That probably doesn't make sense, suppose I should make another video. Been meaning to at the shows but never seem to have time!

Back