Gram Scales

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gram scale?

• Scale 1

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Scale 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scale 3

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Scale 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scale 5

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
K

kaykay

I'm getting ready to buy a gram scale and would appreciate opinions on the ones I found on Ebay. Thank you!

They all have Free Shipping.

Scale 1
Pet Hobby 13 lb Digital Postal Gram Kitchen Scale
-Stainless Steel Top
-Measures 6.2" long x 7.2" wide x 1.6" tall it has a weighing tray that measures 6" x 6"
-10 Year Warranty
-$28.99

1219859822098_AMW13_silver.jpg

Scale 2
Slim Kitchen Digital Scale Diet Food Postal 11 lb Edge
-Stainless Steel
-Fluid ounce and milliliter modes for liquid measurement
-Easy to Read LCD Display
-Super thin - only 0.5" tall!
-4 high precision G-Force Load Sensors
-Powered by 2 long-life lithium batteries (CR2032)
-10 Year Warranty
-$37.99

1230316744482_amw_EDGE_main.jpg

Scale 3
11 lb Digital Diet Scale Kitchen Gram Postal 5000g x 1
-10 year Warranty
-Runs on 4 "AA"batteries included
-Measures approx. 7.5" x 7.5" x 2" The bowl measures approx 7" round and is 2.25" deep
-$26.99

amw810black.jpg

Scale 4
Slim Kitchen Digital Scale Diet Food Postal 11 lb Onyx
-Size 9" x 5.9" x 0.6"
-Black glass weighing platform.
-Built-in touch activated buttons - eliminates possible damage from spills
-Fluid ounce and milliliter modes for liquid measurement
-Easy to Read Back-lit LCD Display
-Super thin - only 0.6" tall!
-4 high precision G-Force Load Sensors
-Powered by 2 long-life lithium batteries (CR2032)
-10 Year Warranty
-$39.99

1230060606495_amw_Onyx_main.jpg

Scale 5
35 lb Digital Postal Postage Shipping Bench Scale NEW C
-Measuring 8 3/4" x 7 1/8"
-Large back lighted display for ease of reading.
-Auto off selectable. You can select if you want your scale to automatically shut off or not.
-You can set your scale to automatically hold the weight on the display or you can press the hold button.
-This scale will hold the weight for as long as 2 minutes or you can press the hold button to cancel the hold.
-Low battery indicator
-Operates on 6 AA bateries (not included) or A/C adapter included
-2 Year Warranty
-$29.50

tree_35_gallery_a.jpg

Scale 3 would be easier to get the chins to stay in. In my experience, chins don't, and won't, sit still long enough for you to take their weight. I have something similar to scale 3 and it works quite nice. I give them a little chew stick to tide them over for a few seconds.

Check Wal-Mart! The one I got from them was under $20, had a square, removable piece on top, and read in both grams and lbs. and had an extra battery! Works very well!

$26.00 at Wal-Mart, no shipping, gm scale with a bowl. :)

I want somewhere I can return it to if it doesn't work and not have to pay shipping twice. They have almost the same scale as #4 on the Wal-Mart web site and it's $16.99. I'd say they are a bit overpriced.

Okay so I voted for scale 3 simply because it looks like my cheap IKEA one with the bowl. Its pretty accurate and I love the bowl for the chins to sit and wait in. I tell them I am going to weigh them and then sit them in the bowl and they sit patiently (which is apparently not normal)...:winkers:

Scale 5 looks most like mine, and I have great luck with it. I use a basket to weigh them in, it has a cover, and works just great. Never had a problem with the scale, and I have had it for over 8 years! (Thanks for the idea, HM!)

I have two, one is something like the 3rd one that I use for the hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs. It was around $20 in Walmart. The 2nd I got on ebay, it's a postage scale that weighs up to 76 lbs and was under $50 including shipping from the US to Canada - same sort of scale retails around here for $70+, the one I use for the cats, and sometimes the guinea pigs. The 76 lbs one is accurate to within 10g, which isn't all that helpful with hamsters and gerbils as a 10g difference in weight can mean a problem being that the dwarfs only weigh 30 - 60g to start with.

If it's just to weigh pets under 11 lbs then I'd probably go with the 3rd. If you have other pets, who weigh more, then a larger capacity scale is probably a better investment since you can weigh everyone.

I would not waste my money on a high priced gram scale(Scale two and four). Simply because it's going to get dirty, grimy, and filled with dust. I got a "cheaper" scale at walmart- I think under $20 that weighs by the gram, it did not come with a bowl--but I learned fast how to take good weights without one...and it's filthy, dust in places I wouldn't think possible to get it in... If it was a $40 scale i'd be pretty ticked off that is about ready for the trash =).

Back