Gooey eye AGAIN!!!HELP PLEASE!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiniiBamBam

Keeper of BamBam :D
PLEASE HELP MEE!! BamBams SAME eye is gooey and has discharge again! this is like the 4th time, it generally goes away on its own, this morning i woke up and hiseye was crusted shut! i dont understand, his cage is clean and he gets his regular baths. He is eating regularly pellets and hay. He acts normal except for the fact that he cant see out of that eye with it being so gooped so he is a little hesitant obviously when he is running around. i used warm watter and a tea bag to get his eye open. I got it open but it still doesnt open all the way. I really feel like its a clogged tear duct.. that would make since, seeing as its allwaays that eye, and when he doesnt have it i feel like stuff is building up and then when his eye is goopy thats when it all the pressure releases and the goop is pushed out but i dont know much about cloged tearducts, thats jsut a theory! DO ANY OF YOU KNOW OR THINK THE SAME THING? and if so how do you fix it????!! please help me i allways get so worried about my little guy when he is like this i hate it!

p.s. MY VET IS OUT OF TOWN UNTIL THE 3RD =(

Have you considered the possibility that this isn't just an eye issue per se, but a tooth issue? In any case, a vet visit is due since it seems the problem is recurring. I would get some xrays done to see if it is indeed some sort of blockage of the tear duct or a teeth problem, and then go from there.

can you maybe call around and look forr another vet? plus at this point, a second opinion might be the best thing anyways.

yea that seems like a good idea, i feel like if it was a tooth problem tho he would be acting like he was in pain and his eating habits would be altered, also if it was a clogged tearduct how would that ge fixed?

If he has had this issue several times he needs to see the vet. It sounds as if you have been treating this on your own and clearly these remedies are not working and most likely require drops from the vet and possibly oral meds to get this cleared up. I would make sure you have an appt set for the day your vet returns

okay well i have taken him to the vet twice forr it and both times it was cleared up before i even got him to the vet and the vet is allways he looks fine but ill give you the drops just in case and each time ive given him the drops it seems to work and if it was a persistant eye infection wouldnt it spread to the other eye? should i ask the vet for oral mdicine as well?

Has the chin had dental x-rays? Due to the location of the lacrimal duct even mild elongation can block the duct drain.

no he hasnt, how much would getting xrays cost? and if it was that wha could they do for it or how would they fix it?

Xrays for Caboose have cost over $100, but they are worth it. It is very difficult to diagnose things in chinchillas without them. I'm not experienced with molar elongation so I don't know what they'd do for them. Filing, maybe?

X-ray prices vary wildly, you should call your vet for a price quote.

As far as elongation goes, the elongation that I am describing is fatal eventually to chinchillas, there is no filing of the roots. To manage a lacrimal duct drain blockage by a elongated root the chin would be treated with antibiotics as needed until the elongation is to the point of quality of life is diminished and the chin would be PTS. The chin should have a x-ray to see what the situation is, since this is a reoccuring problem that I am going to assume has been treated by a vet in the past. Not all eye infections need x-rays, only those that come back again and again.

Also, elongation can be silent until advanced when malocclusion is not involved.

Last edited:
okay thank youu, does any one know about clogged tear ducts in chinchillas??

I'm assuming clogged tear ducts in chins would be similar to clogged tear ducts in humans and I believe antibiotics are necessary.

Latest posts

Back