Going to a chin show questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

Really basic questions from a noob to chins...

Q- Are chin shows for breeders only or are they open to the public?

Q- Are there any entrance fees (to go look and ask questions, not to show), like at a county fair or something?

Q- Can you buy a chin at a show or are they strickly 'show only' shows?

Q- Are they typically an all day event? How crowded do they get?

I looked in th FAQ section and all I see are like rules for breeders showing chins and standards and entry forms (all of which is just way over my head)

Really basic questions from a noob to chins...

Q- Are chin shows for breeders only or are they open to the public?

Chinchillas shows are for chinchilla owners, not just breeders. Learning about an animal you own is never a bad thing and chinchilla shows will teach you a lot.

Q- Are there any entrance fees (to go look and ask questions, not to show), like at a county fair or something?

This is up to the individual branch. Typically, especially for ECBC shows, there is no entrance fee to sit and watch.

Q- Can you buy a chin at a show or are they strickly 'show only' shows?

You can buy chinchillas at a show. Not all of the chinchillas entered in a show will be for sale, but many breeders bring animals to show that they are also trying to sell.

Q- Are they typically an all day event? How crowded do they get?

This depends entirely on the show. MCBA shows and combined ECBC shows are more likely to take all day because of the large amount of classes. Most shows only go for a few hours each day. They are usually not that crowded. I would say there is an average of 20 or so people at any given show. The national shows are much more crowded but it's never so crowded that people don't have time to talk to you and help you out.

1. I don't breed, and I go to shows, they're definitely open to pet owners, it's a good way to meet other chin people and learn what a quality chin looks like.

2. I've only been to MCBA shows, and all of them have had entrance fees to watch the show. Generally around $5/person for those not showing was what was charged at the few I went to.

3. I've bought a chin at a show before :D Sometimes, like at Nationals, they have a silent auction on chins where you can bid on an animal. However, they also have their show chins for sale sometimes too, many times the price is marked on their cage card located on their show cage.

I'm sure if you were interested in a chin you could wait til after the show and ask the breeder if it is for sale.

4. All the ones I've been to have been an all day event, even the smaller local ones. However you aren't required to stay all day by any means. I've only been to the WI show and the MCBA Nationals in IN, and neither of those are as crowded as I thought they'd be before I ever went to a show.

Back