Gluten-Free??? well I have news for you!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easterpiggy

Master of the Fuzzies
Hello everyone,

For those of you who dont know what Celiac Disease (or gluten intolerence or gluten allergy) is let me give you a quick sum up.:thumbsup:

Celiac Disease is a disorder where a protein called gluten is not able to be digested. it affects 1 in 200 people and most dont know it. grains that have gluten in them include ; wheat, barley, rye, malt, spelt, and more.

so as you my figure it is tough to find good food especially baked goods at a resonable price.:banghead:

Well I just found out today that BETTY CROCKER IS MAKING GLUTEN-FREE BAKING MIXES. AND THEY ARE ONLY AROUND $3.00:)this makes me really happy because cake mixes run around $6.00!!!:hair: so I hope some one finds this as exciting as I do.I just bought one and I cant wait to make it I will update what I have tasted it. ( I havent always had celiac so I know what to compare it to;))

That's good news! My 7 year old niece has to eat gluten-free, so I'm sure her mom will be thrilled about this. :thumbsup:

Let us know if its any good! Also, if you have any good gluten free recipes, I'd love to try some.

My dad has to eat gluten free. He had a hard time at first and would 'fall off the wagon' so to speak, making himself feel icky. Over the past couple of years, the rest of us the house have cut back on breads, muffins, bagels, etc (stuff he used to eat a lot of) and have been trying various gluten free mixes.

We've also been trying recipes from on-line and trying to adapt some of our regular recipes. So far I haven't had much luck at perfecting recipes with rice flour. My sister makes a yummy banana bread that we all think tastes better made with rice flour. We made cookies that turned out ok. Our attempts at gluten free pancakes were disastrous through (the dogs liked them...lol).

It was very yummy!!! Just like normal and they have other mixes :devels food cake, brownies, and chocolate chip cookies:thumbsup:
Let us know if its any good! Also, if you have any good gluten free recipes, I'd love to try some.
gluten free pancakes were disastrous through (the dogs liked them...lol).

alrighty you might want to write this down. I have a awesome flour recipe. you use like you would wheat flour and everything tastes normal. use in any recipe you wish.

2 parts Sorghum flour
1 part Tapioca flour
1 part Brown rice flour

then when you bake you want to add to each cup of flour

1 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
1 tsp un flavored gelatine

as for recipes:dance3:

for french toast

use energ white/brown rice bread dip in egg and cook then coat in cinneminn and sugar. soooo yummy.

as for good pancake mix try pamelas baking mix. it is awesome!:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing this info!

I have recently started weaning myself off gluten foods ...to see if there really is a connection between chronic migraines and gluten (new finding.. not proven). It's hard.. to put it mildly.. especially, since I love to bake and hubby loves to eat what I bake ;)

I used to nanny for a little girl who is autistic and they found her autism is less sever and she communicates better when there is no gluten in her diet. Ill have to pass this along to them, just in case they haven't already found it!

I used to nanny for a little girl who is autistic and they found her autism is less sever and she communicates better when there is no gluten in her diet. Ill have to pass this along to them, just in case they haven't already found it!

My daughter has a friend who's little daughter (did you follow that) is also autistic and is much improved with a gluten free, casein free diet. It is a remarkable improvement.

That's great. My Dr tought I had it but it wasn't that in the end, my test came back negative. IN the mean time I reseached a lot about this and it doesn't sound easy to get things without gluten. That's cool you found a cake mix that is not expensive and good.

Really? Autism? hmmmm I have a cousin with autism, I should tell them to try a GF diet.

ok other great stuff I have found. CHEX they now have 5 varieties that are GLUTEN-FREE. rice, corn, chocolate, cinneminn, and honey nut.

Pamela's also makes a really good bread mix. the loaf tastes like sweet hawian bread, and has a really good texture.
my favorite for doughnuts is KINNIKINICK they have chocolate, vanilla, cinnemonn sugar and maple.

Back