Glass Jam Jar

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z.feidelberg

Zander
I was wondering if I could use a glass jam jar as a hay dish. Right now I am using a large bowl and don't like that hay gets all over the cage. I thought that a jam jar stuffed full with hay would be less of a mess.

Where will you be sitting the jar? If it's on a level, I would say no since it can easily fall and break.

Good luck the hay will still get everywhere...there is no keeping hay clean that is the down side of loose hay

No matter what u put the hay in, they will still dig through it and rip it all out all over their cage!....I think thats just the chinchilla way; both of mine do it to the extreme!!!

I thought about trying this myself, but I'm too worried that he'd somehow get his head (or anything else he could try to work in there) stuck in the jar. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that thought has always kept me from trying it!

Use a wide mouth canning jar...the chin wouldn't get stuck that way. Still, trying to get anything to fully contain the hay is futile. I attach flower pots to the sides of my cages to hold the hay for about three seconds before it is strewn all over the place.

Ha I use a flower pot too and it seems like Louie is in there seconds after I put it back in the cage and digging it all out. Every night when I clean there is hay all over the top level.

Yeah, it doesn't really matter where it goes, it ends up on the floor. One of my chins, Dash, will rip the hay out of the hanging feeder I put it in. Almost as if he is mad at it. He pulls it all out furiously, then doesn't touch it. I have tried putting it back, and he will do it again. Like its a game or something.

The best thing I have found for keeping hay somewhat contained is something like this:

hayrack.jpg

http://www.bassequipment.com/Feeders/Feeding+Equipment+/default.aspx

I say give it a try and see, but yes make sure it's a wide enough lip the chins can't get stuck. I know hay is really a mess and a pain, but it's so good for them and they love it! It's just something to deal with for our furry loves!

Latest posts

Back