Gizmo's URI

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luci

Gizmo's roommate
last week i noticed that Giz had been sneezing a bit more than usual. i watched him closely and it seems to be just an irritant since it went away after a while. on thursday, i noticed he had a few crusties around his nose so i called the vet. i was able to get an appointment for friday.

yesterday i took him to the vet before work. at around 930 am, i got a call from them saying that he looked good with just the visual exam. we decided to go ahead and sedate him so that they could get a better look inside his mouth/nose area, as well as to take blood. i got off work at 2pm and went to the vet's. the informed me that the blood work showed that his white and red blood cell count was low. they did not confirm a URI at the time, but sent me home with Baytril (15mg/mL; dosage: 0.7mL once a day) and TMS (48 mg/ml; dosage: 0.3mL twice a day) for 2 weeks to see if he clears up. This morning I gave both the Baytril and TMS. i emailed Angie (chinvet) and she suggested to just stick to the TMS since it's less harsh on the GI system. ive been home the whole day and it seems as though his sneezing has progressed a bit. about once an hour, he'll have a little sneezing spat and wipe his nose, sneeze, blow his nose, squeak, etc. his next round of meds (just the TMS) is in an hour.

hearing him sneeze/squeak and nearly cry is breaking my heart. he's still been active and eating/drinking normally. i think he's just uncomfortable. im not sure how long to wait until i take him back to the vet. there hasnt been any labored breathing and no visible signs of mucous.

please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

I'm keeping you and Giz in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he improves soon.

Luce I am no expert, but I firmly believe the Baytril is what saved Abigails life when she had her URI. Not only was she sick but she was also pregnant with triplets at the time. I know Baytril is hard on the GI tract but it's also a very strong medicine, therefore I feel better equiped to heal the illness. I dont know if anyone else will pipe in, but for me I would give the Baytril to clear this up.

Luce you know you and Giz are always in our prayers. Text me if you need anything.

Luci have you seen anymore crusties on Giz' nose? I know that when CJ had a URI to me it seemed like he got a little worse before he got better. I never saw any yellow or green mucous, just clear in color and when it dried up it looked like crusties. I'm sorry about Giz, I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers that he gets better very quickly. If you need anything let me know, k?! **hugs**

i really appreciate all the support. i never deal well with seeing others sick...so its a bit more frustrating since he cant talk to me. he seems frustrated more than anything. he'll eat on his own and then pick up things to chew. if he gets the sniffles, he'll wipe his nose and you can tell it frustrates him. but he seems to be carrying on with his usual activities.

sandi, no new crusties. i'll even touch his nose and cant/see any mucous. well he just let me hold back his nose a bit. i dont actually SEE liquid or anything, but i can see glistening which means moisture. so its clear. no eye mucous either. what was CJ like when you started the meds?

I don't want to scare you Luci, but you know CJ pulled through. He got the URI a couple of days after the vet trimmed and filed his teeth. He looked worse after the 2nd vet visit for the URI. They did put him on Baytril and within 36 hours he stopped eating and drinking on his own. Do you have stuff to hand feed Giz if this (hopefully not) happens?

yes, i have CC and some lifeline (which is what ive hand fed before). so far he's been eating and drinking a lot so hopefully it'll keep his tummy moving. i also have benebac to offer a few times a day.

at the moment, he's sleeping in his tube. breathing seems normal and no noises.

I would use both antibiotics since that is what the vet who actually saw the chin prescribed, I don't think its ethical for a vet to question another vets diagnosis and treatment unless it was incorrect or dangerous and change the treatment without seeing the chin in person, no matter if the vet is a expert. URI's need big guns and its well known that TMS is not big guns, baytril is. Vets will RX both if the situation is bad.

I don't think getting a second opinion is unethical in the least. Getting a second opinion is the smart way to go if you question the advice given to you.

Luci - You're going to make yourself crazy over this. You've gone to the vet, you've talked to Angie, you've talked to numerous people in chat, you've texted, you've emailed. I said it before and I'll say it again, if it IS a URI, use the Baytril. I think two antibiotics are overkill, especially in a chin with no other symptoms than some sneezing. His lungs are clear, there were no sounds heard there. The vet can't find anything other than that he has some sneezing. You've cleaned around the cage with bleach and it could simply be an allergic reaction, or maybe it is a URI. Either way URI = Baytril.

no changes since last night. he does not like the meds at all. but i'll see him sleeping in his tube, no labored breathing and no noises; his sneezing spats seem to have gotten shorter so here's hoping recovery will be quick.

i'll be ready to handfeed if necessary.

Luci, I PMed you info about Herbal Immune Support. Just want to add that Echinacea is used to fight viral and bacterial infections. It improves the mobility of infection-combating leukocytes. Echinacea is often used as an addition to antibiotics.

I prefer to use echinacea with a nutritive supplement as it helps chins recover faster – deficiency of some nutrients have been linked to URI.
Echinacea also relieves inflammation and pain.
It's best to take echinacea at the first hint of illness. Dosage for chins is about 1/4 teaspoon a day (I sent you a link with directions). In case of URI you can divide the dosage and use echinacea every 2-3 hours (very small amounts). Echinacea is more effective when administered at frequent intervals.

I use echinacea purpurea roots, leaves, stems and flowers. Maybe you can find it at your local health food store.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I'm sending positive healing thoughts to Gizmo to help him beat the URI!

tanya, yes i keep thinking about your supplement! i transferred some money between my accounts and im hoping for it to go through soon so i can order some! do you have smaller packages for a smaller price? just wondering.

Yes, I can send you a smaller amount (half the price). I can send it out on Monday via Priority or Express (just let me know the shipping method and your address).
You can pay later - no problem :)

I don't have any knowledge or advice that would help but you're a smart woman. I think you'll do whatever is best and I hope that Gizmo recovers soon.

No advice, but prayers for a quick recovery!

:kiss: <- Lady giving Giz a kiss (shh don't tell Shelly)

i can't say thanks enough for all the thoughts and prayers and crossed paws. at the moment, im at work (working a double shift to make up for my sick days last week). when i left this morning, giz got his meds and was still a bit sniffly but alert and loving scritches and any sort of attention. keep examining that nose, and no visible mucous. he has sleepy eyes but that may be due to the meds since he'll perk up at his usual romping hours.

ive just been following the vets instructions in terms of meds (Tms twice a day and i give baytril twice as well-just split the dosage so its still 0.7mL in a day). i want to get him only on one antibiotic though so am gonna call the vet and see how to adjust the dosages (probably just for baytril-i wanna get him better and kick this URI in the butt). unless anyone else has suggestions! its 15mg/ml (i think...this if off the top of my head, but the concentration is listed in the first post).

at the moment, he's still eating and drinking on his own but im gonna put in at least 1 hand feeding a day (more if he goes off feed) just to be sure he's getting enough nutrients and water.

just a long shot, would injectible baytril and subq fluids be a better option? ive never given injectibles and giz is quite squirmy. but its something i may consider. here's to hoping that the sneezes stop and he becomes bright eyed 24/7!

Latest posts

Back