Giardia or Overreacting - I need you advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heku

I know that the issue of soft poo comes up about every other post. But its hard to judge what to do, because everyone's experiences are just a little bit different. Lola poops on average at least one poo per minute. Today I went over to change her cage and let her play (she lives at my dads because he loves to keep his house 70 degrees perfect for her) I've noticed her poo getting slightly bigger. Today after I cleaned her cage she didn't go for an hour. I put her in her carrier and made her stay in there (she poops when shes nervous) and she went 3 times, not moist, but, squishy and had an odor to it. Not horrible but it wasn't good. Shes been eating like crazy and drinking. I stayed another half hour, no poop. Left and brought my boyfriend back. She is absolutely in love with him my first post was about how she sits on him and litteralty stands up she to squeeze out poop on him. (I'm going to take a video because no one understands to what extent she tries to go on him) I had been gone for about half an hour and there was two poos. She saw him and did her normal squeezing fits and popped out about 10 on him, she really had to push.

In any case... I need your opinion. Would you take her to the vet. 30 minutes away, I have no problem taking her, but I don't want to go if I'm over reacting.

Shes peeing, eating, drinking, and chewing.

No poop. only when scared or forced. Poo is mailable and has a slight odor.
I've recently mixed her current hay with timothy hay, but other than that no other changes.

I really want to catch Giardia in its early stages if this is it.

I will be visiting her tomorrow around 12:30 for an update, then staying the night.
I'm new at this and I still need to get the hang of when to chill and when to freak!

So what would you do in this situation. Wait it out and see what happens or take her in?

Thanks in advanced guys :dance3:

Last edited:
I'd take her. A lack of poop normally indicates some sort of bloat or blockage and it's better to catch it early rather than later.

Giardia causes soft or runny poops.

It sounds more like your girl might be constipated. A vet visit would probably be a good idea, just in case she has a blockage.

Squishy and an odor would have me at the vet. She sounds like she may have two things going on. Constipation is generally hard, small stools, which she doesn't have, but she does seem to be forcing herself to go. That could be because there's a clump of the moist, sticky poop blocking the passage. It also sounds, from the squishy and smell, that it could be giardia. So you may have a twofold issue to deal with.

Please let us know how she does.

Thanks everyone, she has an appointment tomorrow. As soon as I noticed the smell I knew to start worring. I had her out a lot yesterday she pooped more than she has been, yet it was still smelly and squishy. Its my first time going to the chin vet (let alone any vet). I already have a chinchiller in the fridge for the transfer. I'm nervous as of how much money I should bring. They said actual appointment is $82. I just dont want to go without enough money.

:unsure:

A few have had problems with Mazuri feed occasionally causing the same thing. If you're using it, I'd go for a new bag!
You also don't mention hay - is she getting any? Sometimes the fiber helps a lot!
Good luck!

I would bring around $200 because you will probably need some sort of stool culture/fecal test. 82 sounds high for just the exam (I hope they were including something more in that). I had a stool culture done for mine recently and it was 130 dollars for the test! You may not end up with spending that much but you can't really go without having enough. If you don't have a back up credit card or something, and you show up with 82 dollars cash, you may not have enough. Ask your vet if they take care credit.

Thanks for the response guys,

Lola is on oxbow, unlimited. She roughly eats 1/8th of her bowl of food a day.

She also gets a unlimited timothy hay. I've recently switched hay. I have pulled raisins from her diet and am now giving her one small square of shredded wheat everyday.

I saw her eat and drink last night, (and pee and she has pooped since) it doesn't seem like there is any decrease in consumption.

I highly doubt it is bloat (I pray its not) because when she does poop is normal size just accompanied by a bad smell. She is however pooping back to normal.

$82 is very high. When I took Bryson to the vet for just a check-up it was $50.

Arg seriously? I don't have much of a choice. Hes the only dr. that takes chins. But I really am having trouble shelling out the money needed for this visit. I'm right in the limbo of finishing college and trying to get a job in my field. It's tough, but she makes me happy. He better be a good Dr is all I have to say! haha :impatient:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give you all an update. So far so good on the homefront! We went and saw dr. Riggs today. We found out he has a lot of experience with chins, he's been in the vet field for 30 years and knows a lot about chinnies. We got right in. He tested for giardia, he said everything looked good and we shouldn't be panicked. He said that her soft stool was more than likely due to the fact that her food has been changed in the last month and since it was such a drastic change (I did cold turkey because I read it was ok in chins) her body was still ajusting since she had such a horrible diet beforehand. He sent me home with a chinchilla pill to promote good flora in her tummy and some sort of chin gel I only give her a dot a day. I was sceptical that he might be wrong but I tried the pill (she gobbled it down) and well what do you know! Normal poops 2 hours later at a constant rate, no smell !!! Hardly any squish which before it was like putty! he said to call and update on monday, if anything isn't normal we will start getting more in depth! But I'm really happy with what I see! He said keeping up on her new diet, oxbow, her timothy, and a shreadie is a turn for the better. he was exspecially happy with the vita-kraft to oxbow swich... Which I'm sure anyone would be.

In anycase I was really happy with how nicely the staff treated my baby and made me feel good because when I went in I was nervous!

Hoping this happiness stays and she stays healthy through the weekend!

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom!

When I took my guy in for a giardia check, the visit cost about $90, and that included the vet visit and the fecal test, so maybe the $82 quote is inclusive of the fecal?

I think you might be right because she got a test done and two medicines and it was a total of 100. That's a pretty good deal! :)

It's too bad you didn't post about the cold food switch, or we could have probably saved you some money. Be sure to include all the details next time. A chin's digestive tract can get a little upset with a cold food switch, but it doesn't take very long to straighten itself out, especially if you add a probiotic to the mix, which I am assuming is what the gel is - Benebac?

Yes I'm sorry tunes. I thought since it was about a month ago it wouldnt really matter. Yes 1/2 a gram on a rasin a day. Shes not a fan, (she threw the rasin at me and made for some great comic releif) the probiotic is oxbow papaya brand, luckily she didn't even need any treats with, she seemed to like it by itself. I am glad I got to visit the dr tho. Because now when I am met with a real bad problem (be it bloat or giardia) i will know i have a dr I can trust. It will deffinatly take some stress off the table.

Thank you all for the help :)

Well Its sunday, she still has squishy poo, does anyone know how long it takes to get her tummy back on track?

Latest posts

Back