Getting tiles cut to tile a cage? Where?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greychins

NWI Chinchillas
So, I know I've seen on here people tile their cages, or tile their FN's, and I recall seeing that it's not only 12x12 tiles people use. Like some of the tiles have to be like 10 3/4 or something.... and I'm sure not everyone who has tiled their FN happens to have a wet saw just lying around their basement.

I have asked around at some of the hardware stores, but no place seems to cut tile. I would like to get some tile cut so I could tile a cage... but rather than continue to mindlessly ask places if they cut tile and get more and more "no's"... I thought I'd ask.

Where have you all found that will cut tile to specified sizes for you?

Thanks!

I personally have not cut my tile yet...but as you said I do just have a wet saw lying around. However, try the smaller hardware stores, some of them will cut tile and lowes installs tile so why would they not cut it? Other than that you might try finding a friend who does happen to have a wet saw...or you may be able to rent one form a hardware store.

Unfortunately, no friends have wet saws, and awhile back (been toying with the idea of doing this for awhile) I posted an ad on craigslist saying I need some tile cut... I posted saying just a few pieces, I think 5-6, easy straight cuts for someone with a wet saw. Was quoted $25 and $40 by two different people. Nooooo thank you. My cage will remain tile-less if I have to spend that much to get the tile cut.

Holy smokies that is ridiculous! I personally would have told you come on over and let's get it cut. I could do my own at the same time. That is ridiculous. Has no one heard of treating others as they want to be treated??? And seriously 5-10 cuts will take a few min tops. My grandfather did a couple hundred in an 2 hour period, when they were tiling the kitchen.

I should specify - I am trying to find someplace local, within driving distance of NW Indiana/NE Illinois, specifically 46321, to cut tile. While I appreciate the link, if I have to get tile cut and shipped from Ireland, it will definitely go back into the realm of "more than I'd like to spend."

greeneyedbaby190--> yeah I thought that was ridiculous too. I mean, I could see if I wanted a ton done, but we're talking a few pieces, and nothing difficult (I don't know if maybe there is some difficult way to cut tile, but I literally need some pieces cut a bit smaller on one side). I was hoping someone on craigslist would say like $10 or something like that, because while I don't have a wet saw, I do have some saws, and I understand the concept of how a wet saw works, so I know it's not THAT much work to pay $25/40 to cut a few pieces of tile. I mean heck, I can buy a wet saw for $89 at Home Depot, why would I pay $40 to get a few tiles cut? A few more and I could have the saw, lol.

Last edited:
oh jeepers, i'm sorry. i googled 'tile cutting, munster IN' and didn't even notice the location for that link! my bad! :rofl:

Lowe's here charges by the tile. but it's cheap.
Home depot would here but since lowe's does they don't.
and since home depot cuts wood here lowe's doesnt hahaha weird.
but if you have either one of them by you i'd call.

Interesting. I know the Lowe's here doesn't cut wood... but I haven't asked them yet about the tile. Will have to check with them, thanks!

I know our Lowes cuts tile. Not sure about HomeDepot. We bought a small table type saw for cutting tile, and know it was like $50 or less. I'll have to ask the other half where he bought it and if he remembers the price. $40 just to cut tile seems excessive! What do they think they are cutting, gold?

We couldn't find anywhere near where we live but we're pretty urban. In the end we just used fleece liner and got her a marble lazy susan to cool off at from a kitchen store :)

My local Lowe's also cuts my granite tiles for me at no charge. I always feel bad asking them to do it since I don't even buy my granite there! (they don't sell it, though)

If you lived closer to me I'd cut it for you. My dad has a tile saw. My dad is actually using it right too. He just bought a house to rent and he is tiling the floor.

Latest posts

Back