Getting Chin Today

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleygirl

I finally finished my cage it is a 4 foot closet and we put ledges made out of pine and the doors are pine and wire cloth. I am very happy how it turned out lots of room for it to play in.:dance3:Today is the day I am going to start looking for my Chin. I have contacted a couple of people on craigslist I hope that one of them works out. My friend told me about a couple on craigslist that have some issues so they will have a harder time getting adopted. Does a crooked tail have any affect on them? Can they still be picked up because from what I read that you have to pick them up from the base. ALso the same lady has one that chews is this something they out grow. Or should I continue going to rescues and see if I can find something else? I have not contact the owner yet I wanted to get your opinions so I do not waste her time. Thanks.

Make sure it's kiln dried pine, I've heard that it can cause health issues if it isn't.

A crooked tail I'm sure would affect their balance, but it's a possibility that they may have gotten use to it. I've had a few cats that needed their tails amputated, their balance was off for a while but learned to work with it. I personally, do not pick up them up by the base of the tail unless I absolutely feel the need to. For me it's hard how to explain on how to hold them with out using the tail, I'm sure other people here will explain it better or you could google it.

Chews what exactly? Chewing fur is not good, it means that they're stressed. Other than that they will always chew, it's how they keep their teeth trimmed, there are people on here that sell wood for them to chew, they'll more than likely be chewing on their ledges so beware. Remember they are rodents.

This is only from what I've been able to read and learn from personal experience, so I'm sure others who post here will have other point of views.

Can they still be picked up because from what I read that you have to pick them up from the base.
Since I am not a breeder and I do not have that 'amount' of knowledge I never pick up my chin from the tail. Nobody showed me how, so I might hurt them or even cause a problem. I wouldn't recommend you to do so, unless you know exactly how to do it.

I'm not so sure about craigslist just because some of those people are not breeders and sometimes the chins could have health issues that even the person selling the chins doesn't know.And to save yourself from a lot of heartache and putting a big hole in your purse cuz of vet visits,I would personally rather get the chin from either a breeder or a rescue. In your case a rescue was your other choice.

Rescue would definitely be safer choice as oppose to Craigslist. Because there are a lot of chinchillas that need a good home.And from the sounds of it you've got a pretty cool shin dig set up. Any rescued chin would be lucky to have you as an owner and have lots of space to run around in. =)

Seriously great you are adopting:)

Yes, if they are chewing on themselves, like their fur, it is not good, so hopefully that's not what you meant. But if that is what you meant, than I would still adopt him cause it's a stress issue (I believe always, but I could easily be wrong) and caused by something in it's current environment, so once it goes to a more calm, stable, comfortable environment, chewing on his fur should stop.

If you mean people, I believe you can teach them not to bite. When my boy, Sunny, does it, I say no in a quiet, yet strict voice, and it gets his attention. He immediatly stops. But he only does taste-test bites that don't hurt. He just wants to know if things are edible and/or chewable, like my shirt. Warning bites are when I say "NO" and he does stop. That's when I may doing something he doesn't like, like the past few days i've had to force feed him meds and Critical Care cause he had a Urinary Track Infection, so he's done a few warning bites, which are a little harder than his taste-test bites-they feel like a pinch, not enough to draw blood (he could draw bloood if he wanted to), but the real bite would be the next step, so I don't let him get there.

If you mean he chews in general, like the furniture, his cage, and whatever else he can get his teeth into besides flesh and himself, then that is 100% normal for chins, so expect it from any chin you get. Sunny eats his cage (the wood, not wire cloth), his hidey house (wood), and when he's oout of his cage, he used to eat the baseboards so I've covered them up with cardboard. He would eat any furniture as well if I'd let him. Somee chins even eat fleece-Sunny doesn't, but he nibbles on aspen shavings often to I'm switching to fleece. They sshould have lots of applewood and other safe wood to chew on in and out of their cage, and also pumice is great for their teeth. Sunny loves his pumice ledges and his teeth are very heallthy. He also loves tearing apart a small roll-a-nest when he has one or a grass hut, but he tends to pee on them, not the roll-a-nests. And of course hay, which takes care of wearing their back teeth so its very important. Sunny gets Orchard Grass and of course Timothy Hay, but there are other kinds that are good, like Oat hay. Just stay away from alfalfa, especially if you use Mazuri pellets.

And I don't think a crooked tail would effect holding the chin by thhe tail (not just the tail of course), but there are other ways. It's hard to describe, though, so I'll leave that up to the more experienced members. I could also be wrong, and maybe you should stay away from the tail all together. If it effected anything, it would probably affect their balance though, because they use their tails when standing on 2 feet, like a kangaroo (not as a weopon though, lol).

After getting a chin, though, especially one that has an abnormal chewing problem or a crooked tail, I'd bring them to the vet right away after bringing them home-a vet that KNOWS about chins. I had to call a few different vets and one actually said to me that they've treated sugar gliders and guinea pigs, so why not chinchillas, too?! Something like that is not good enough-definitely not-that actually got me a little mad, especially since that's where I take my dogs. I finally called the emergency animal vet 1/2 hour from me, they said NO, just a blunt no, the first definite answer I got, and gave me the number to another vet near them who said YES, a ddefinite answer, and when I brought Sunny in, they did a very good job and they said his meds were right on here-I trust a lot of the members on here more than any vet for my chin, so now I trust Sunny's vet more because the meds and food supplement were good (according to some members on here), and he's already doing a lot better. If you don't feel comfortable with the answer of whether or not they KNOW about chins, look else where, and even after finding a vet you feel comfortable with, if they prescribe anything, ask about it on here, and if they give advice that doesn't seem right to you, ask about it on here. You can trust the people on here-some have over 50-200 chins and have owned and/or bred for many years, going through almost anything you can possibly go through with a chin! And you should take a rescue chin to the vet immediatly in my opinion, especially off of Craigslist, just to make sure everything is good-that's just my opinion, though-I would.

Good luck with the chin you choose. Either 'problem' doesn't SOUND like a serious one, but again, others may have different opinions.

Chins that chew their fur, do so for a variety of reasons, though none is set in stone as to why some do it and some do not do it. Whether it be genetics, boredom, or stress, no one really knows and sometimes they can do it and continue to do it or sometimes they do it and once in the right home, never do it again. But those are just a few of the reasons.

Stress isn't necessarily caused by fur chewing. No ones knows the exact cause. Some chins can be in a stress free envirotnment with tons of toys and a loving owner and still chew.

Nothing wrong with fur chewers, they just look like they have a bad haircut & shouldn't be bred, since it is thought that fur chewing may be caused by a genetic predisposition.

I would not recommend a newbie with limited chin knowledge getting a chin off of craigslist. Ultimately it's up to you, but I think a more ideal situation would to be to get a chin from a reputable breeder or rescue who you have a better chance of getting a healthy chin from, and can give you correct information on care for your chinchilla. Buying off of CL is taking a shot in the dark...it's hard telling what the condition the chin is in among a miriad of other things. There are plenty of people on here that there is probably someone close to you...post a wanted ad and see.

I'm not sure what you mean about a cage made out of a closet. Is it an actual closet room that you have put shelves and such in? Not a great idea. The chin could chew on the walls and ingest the paint, there would be little ventilation, and the list could go on with issues you would face.

I'm not sure what you mean about a cage made out of a closet. Is it an actual closet room that you have put shelves and such in? Not a great idea. The chin could chew on the walls and ingest the paint, there would be little ventilation, and the list could go on with issues you would face.

thats what i was thinking. it wouldnt be safe unless you put kd pine over the walls or something like that

a friend of mine got her chinchillas off craigslist, and of course, at first glance her chinchillas appear to be fine. but after a few days, and close observation, she realized that one of the chinchillas has uneven whiskers. which then cause that chinchilla to bump into things and move slower during playtime and while she's inside the cage. of course, she's adjusting and moves a lot better now... but it's still difficult. definitely make sure to check the chinchillas before you accept to buy them... you never know what kind of conditions they're in unless you really check :/

a friend of mine got her chinchillas off craigslist, and of course, at first glance her chinchillas appear to be fine. but after a few days, and close observation, she realized that one of the chinchillas has uneven whiskers. which then cause that chinchilla to bump into things and move slower during playtime and while she's inside the cage. of course, she's adjusting and moves a lot better now... but it's still difficult. definitely make sure to check the chinchillas before you accept to buy them... you never know what kind of conditions they're in unless you really check :/

Uneven whiskers are in no way a sign of ill health in a chinchilla and they should not be cause for concern. I would hate for a new member to see this and choose not to get a chinchilla they've fallen in love with because the whiskers are chewed or uneven. Chinchilla whiskers DO grow back and any bumping into things this chinchilla does is her own quirky personality. Shorter whiskers can affect what they do and don't bump into, but again...it's not a health concern.

Uneven whiskers are in no way a sign of ill health in a chinchilla and they should not be cause for concern. I would hate for a new member to see this and choose not to get a chinchilla they've fallen in love with because the whiskers are chewed or uneven. Chinchilla whiskers DO grow back and any bumping into things this chinchilla does is her own quirky personality. Shorter whiskers can affect what they do and don't bump into, but again...it's not a health concern.

Oh thank goodness, I was scared when I read that, because I noticed that both of my chins have uneven whiskers. Thank you for the clear up.

I cannot post pictures at this time but it is made out of a closet you buy at walmart is not one that was in my house if that helps any. Secondly, I have decided not to get either chin after reading your post. I went to the rescue and none of them was what I wanted they either sprayed me or would bite really bad if you touched them. On the other hand I did go to petsmart and looked at what they had. He was supper sweet left me hold him for about 5 miniutes until he got restless. I know that is what I want but I will not adopt from there. I also have checked out prices of threewingedfury and I cannot afford 150.00 for a baby. I would like to pay no more the $75.00 I just want a pet paprs are not important. If anyone knows a breeder in NC that has babies for that please let me know. If not maybe I should waite longer. I just know this is the time of year they are having babies. Threewingedfury if you have a male baby in this pricerange please let me know. Tank you

What type of closet are you talking about? I would be concerned as it is not meant for an animal's habitat, it may contain dangerous chemicals or materials that a pet should not ingest or be around, let alone live in.

petstore chins are fine. you just have to double check the sex because they often get it wrong. the only reason it would be a problem was if you were planning to breed, which your not. if that chin is what you are looking for then my all means you should get it.

Ok, I just read this thread, not sure how I missed it.

The two chins you are speaking of that are on CL with the crooked tail and the fur chewer are actually chins that are mine. They came here as pets and will leave only as pets. I had posted them on CL for $50 each since people who have come here looking for their next pet have turned up their nose to them since they're the "disabled chins" as we call them. I haven't found the right homes for them just yet so they're still here. I've had a lot of people inquire about them, but they just haven't proven to be qualified for these guys. I never really post on there, but I figured someone would open their heart up to these two.

The chin with the crooked tail can still be scooped up and he would make an excellent pet, his name is Kuja. He has a sweet personality, he was born with this crook in his tail. The other chin is Crius and he started chewing after I brought him over 15 hrs from his previous home. He's a spunky guy, but it doesn't mean he wouldn't make a great pet. Chins that are a little less than perfect need loving too. I have a few other males that are a little older in the $50-100 price range also if you're interested. Unfortunately, I don't have any babies for $75 or less.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back