Getting a second Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourpatch23

So I got my first chin, Westly, a year ago, and I love him to death, and am really glad I got him. I would really like to get a second, but do not have room for another cage, as the one he is in now is huge and takes up a ton of space. So I would need to house them together. So my question is, how do I make sure they will get along? I don't want to deal with the stress of fighting chins, and I am not someone who ever returns an animal after I get one. Is there a way to make sure before I get one? Do different personalities get along better with others? He is crazy hyper, NEVER skittish or afraid, when he's playing he doesn't seem to know the difference between people or other animals or furniture. (Which has caused my cat more than a few amusing rude awakenings.) He is super autistic and ADHD, but super sweet and loves attention. He gets along great with cats and bunnies and guinea pigs, although he hates ducks... lol ANYWAY, do you think he has a good chance of getting along fine with a buddy? Oh and he is two years old.

So I got my first chin, Westly, a year ago, and I love him to death, and am really glad I got him. I would really like to get a second, but do not have room for another cage, as the one he is in now is huge and takes up a ton of space.

You're going to have to have a second cage anyway for quarantine, and a back up cage just in case they don't get along.

So I would need to house them together. So my question is, how do I make sure they will get along? I don't want to deal with the stress of fighting chins, and I am not someone who ever returns an animal after I get one. Is there a way to make sure before I get one?

You can't make sure they will get along. There is absolutely no way to tell. Some chins get along with others, some don't. Some get along with certain chins, and not others. There is absolutely no way to know if a chin will get along with another before they meet. Some chins get along for a period of time and then turn on one another, fight, or even kill. I have one who has killed his cage mate and tries to attack anything that looks like a chin. He is completely friendly and lovey to people and you would never know he killed another chin or is aggressive.

He is super autistic and ADHD, but super sweet and loves attention. He gets along great with cats and bunnies and guinea pigs, although he hates ducks... lol ANYWAY, do you think he has a good chance of getting along fine with a buddy? Oh and he is two years old.

You should not let him around cats and bunnies, both carry pasteruella in their saliva that is harmless to them but can be deadly to your chinchilla should he contract it. Cats are also predators- your cat may be fine with him now but anything could bring out that predatory instinct and the cat could seriously injure or even kill your chin. Same with the rabbit, one well placed defensive kick could be harmful. I don't like the idea of mixing species, even if it is just for play or for a short amount of time.

There is no way for us to tell you if he will get along with another chin, or if this new chin will get along with him. Like I previously stated, you are going to need a second cage for quarantine. Quarantine is keeping the new chin completely separate and away from your current chin. After the 30 day period is up, you could begin introductions. Intros can take weeks, months, even years- all of which he would need to be in another cage...and it may never work out. If you have no room or are not willing to have a second cage (which may very well happen should they not get along), my advice to you is not to get another chin.

Last edited:
First off you will need a second cage for the 30 day quaratine period and as a spare cage in case one gets sick or they fight, second there is a better chance IMO of them not getting along than getting along, so if you can't deal with fighting chins, won't return a chin and can't have 2 cages then enjoy the single chin you have, they don't need a buddy. And as far as him playing with other species, its not a good idea since cats and bunnies can carry a silent bacteria that is deadly to chins.

He is super autistic and ADHD, but super sweet and loves attention. He gets along great with cats and bunnies and guinea pigs, although he hates ducks... lol ANYWAY, do you think he has a good chance of getting along fine with a buddy? Oh and he is two years old.

Huuuuge no-no. He should never, ever be exposed to your cats, bunnies or your ducks, all of which carry horrible diseases that could easily kill your chin. Not to mention, cats are predators. All it would take is one swipe of that paw or one bite and your chin would be gone. You should never intermingle different species.

Stacie is too fast for me!

Me too!

And by the way, quarantine means separate cages in separate rooms. This allows a new chin to adapt to the new bacteria in his or her environment as well as keeping them from sharing any viruses that either one may have.

agreed
altho i learned after researching it, that not all rabbits carry pasturella, there is a 50/50 chance that they can be carriers of the bacteria.
howie and Kishi used to have to stay in the same room sometimes and altho i was fortunate, not everyone is so lucky, and it is a risk.
i made sure they played seperately, rabbits have a strong kick, even small ones, i was bruised by howie at least times because he kicked me in a panic,and he was small for a rabbit, imagine what that could do to a chin's tiny bones.

Stacie, Dawn and Peggy (Tunes) laid it all out for you.

I think that you will agree that getting a second chin is not the right thing for you to do at this time. Lavish Westy with all your love and attention and spoil him rotten!!! He's a lucky chinnie.

Thanks for the advice regarding them most likely not getting along, and quarantine and what not. I’ll be sticking with my one buddy for now. However regarding the other animals, relax, I know what I’m doing and I know the risks. They are never around each other in a way that is any where near likely to transfer a disease. He is more likely to get one from a chew toy bought at the pet store. They only sniff each other once in a while and walk away. Absolutely nothing is shared. No food, or water, or salt licks, or toys, or blankets, or cages or anything. As for the cat as a predator comment that made me lol. My cat isn’t like the one’s most people are used to. She hates to play, she’s never caught a thing in her life, and she’s always the one running away from the chin. (She runs from mice too.) However, even if she had a change of heart, there is nothing she could do. She has no claws, he teeth can’t break skin, she extremely old and incredibly slow, and fat. He can out run the cat a million to one. She’s about as intimidating as a pillow. And can't do more damage than one either... unless it involves stinking up the house. Gosh her poop is deadly. Haha sorry off topic. Ok thanks guys!:thumbsup:

i really hope you reconsider. there is absolutely no "benefit" to having your animals intermingle like that- only risks. bacteria is more complicated than you think, and to just ignore the advice of more experienced owners is just going to do more harm than good. despite the fact that you know your pets' personalities more than we do, it still doesnt mean that everything will be fine.
why do you think we advocate for chin-proof rooms? not only to lessen the chances of them getting into wires, etc., but also to provide a small enough space that we can monitor. chins pick up and chew on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they can find. you have no idea if the chin picks up a piece of food, feces, etc. word of caution-play it safe. dont allow them to mingle.

why do you think we advocate for chin-proof rooms? not only to lessen the chances of them getting into wires, etc., but also to provide a small enough space that we can monitor. chins pick up and chew on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they can find. you have no idea if the chin picks up a piece of food, feces, etc. word of caution-play it safe.

What are you even talking about? You're making things up. When was it ever said that I don't use chin proof rooms, and monitor him, and keep them from wires and stuff? I DO. Don't preach to me about assumptions.

They only sniff each other once in a while and walk away.

That is enough for the transmission of bacteria. Your chinchilla gains nothing from interaction with these other animals, and with all the risks involved, it just isn't worth it. While your cat may be completely docile, she still carries pasteurella in her saliva. The rabbit could still kick, even accidentally while it's doing a binky or something like that.

That is enough for the transmission of bacteria. Your chinchilla gains nothing from interaction with these other animals, and with all the risks involved, it just isn't worth it. While your cat may be completely docile, she still carries pasteurella in her saliva. The rabbit could still kick, even accidentally while it's doing a binky or something like that.

It was a baby rabbit. like a fourth the size of Westly

And oh my gosh guys, I get it, I know the risks, I was asking advice on chins living together, no one can ask anything on this sight without getting attacked for random things. It's sad.

It was a baby rabbit. like a fourth the size of Westly

Ok, then your cat still carries pasteurella in it's saliva. The point is intermingling species is a big no-no as there are too many risks involved.

And oh my gosh guys, I get it, I know the risks, I was asking advice on chins living together, no one can ask anything on this sight without getting attacked for random things. It's sad.

No one is attacking you. They are looking out for the health of your chinchilla. If we see something that is endangering a chinchilla, be it the main topic or not, you bet we're going to say something about it. We're all here because we care about chinchillas and their well being.

What are you even talking about? You're making things up. When was it ever said that I don't use chin proof rooms, and monitor him, and keep them from wires and stuff? I DO. Don't preach to me about assumptions.

First, you need to tone down the attitude.

Second, if your rabbit sneezes, the fluid passed to your chin can pass pasturella. Can you control sneezes? I can't. If your cat spits, sneezes, or licks - it can pass a disease that can kill your chin.

What Luci is referring to with chin proofing is a completely safe room, that includes not allowing any animal that could harm your chin near your chin.

Do you think we tell you these things just to irritate you? Or do you think that maybe the voices of experience are trying to save you from having a truly sad outcome if your chin is exposed to other animals?

Back