Getting a new tv...what is best?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn

ZooKeeper
Hi peeps! I asked this question on fb and have gotten some great responses, but I still need help. We have a 52 inch rear projection tv that is starting to crap out - already, it is only a 2-3 years old - and we need to replace it with something that is great quality and long lasting. I'm tired of purchasing a tv every couple of years!

I have heard both good and bad about plasma vs LCD, although I think we would probably be happy with either. I guess I would like to know what you think is a good brand, and which brand names to stay away from. How long have you had your tv?

We are looking at a 46 inch screen or bigger and need a tv that is mostly used for movies, watching sports, etc. Not for video games or to hook up to the computer.

Any ideas, advice, or suggestions would be great!!! Thank you!!!

I have 2 Samsung LCD T.V.s and one Samsung LED T.V., like them all and honestly can't tell the difference between the LCD and LED.

I was researching TV's last year and talked to several different people who sell them. I was told that LCD is the best overall TV. Plasma is not as clear of a picture, and it's pretty much the ugly step-sister at this point. They will be phasing them out. LED is a really good picture, but you're not supposed to ever sit to the side or it distorts the picture. That could be a problem based on what size your living room (or whatever) is and how you position your furniture in regards to the TV screen.

The latest and greatest is the 3D TV. I am really hoping that one is a fad. I hate seeing all the 3D junk in theaters because of the expense, even though some of them are pretty cool to watch. It's already stupid to pay $8.50 for a movie, then to have to slap down another $2.50 for glasses that they won't let you reuse is absolutely ridiculous.

We have a 42" Philips LCD. Overall it's a pretty good tv...I don't have any complaints.

I don't understand those dumb 3D televisions..do you have to wear the annoying glasses to watch 3D things? I hate wearing them..they give me a headache.

I know we're not interested in getting a 3D tv. I'm not going to wear glasses to watch a movie. I'm just interested in a crystal clear pic and a tv that won't crap out in 2 years. So far it seems Samsung has been a favorite.

We have a 47 inch Sanyo LCD and have been very happy with it. We have had it for at least 4 years and haven't had a single issue, not even a burnt out pixel.

does anyone know of any brands to totally stay away from?
I have seen a ton of "refurbished" Vizios on the market. That tells me that it might not hold up well.
I have a 47" Philips LCD that has an amazing picture.
What you should look for is the highest resolution you can get, and 120 Hz if in your budget.
LCD's have great color.
Plasmas have great depth on black colors.
LED's have the best of both and the current prices reflect that.

LED's are great, but crap out a lot faster than LCDs. I also can't tell much of a difference. Samsung and Phillips are both good brands. You'll notice a big difference between 60hz and 120hz, but I don't know your budget. Also, the higher contrast ratio, the better.

LED is currently the best technology, it uses less power, and has a higher contrast then LCD.

LCD is what everyone is using and It's for a good reason. LCD has generally a brighter screen, better for TV and better for overall use, you can get them in any size and price. The screens are exposed, so you could rip or damage it if something were to hit it.

Plasma TV's are for the huge movie buffs, it has the only true black of any television. The horror stories are a myth with the new plasmas are now just that, a myth...there's no burning or ghosting... Plasma TV's have a glass screen, so it's good for kids, but bad if you are in a well lit room, unless you spend some extra money on a Plasma with an anti glare filter.

LED is the way to go, but nothing wrong with an LCD at all.

LED's are great, but crap out a lot faster than LCDs. I also can't tell much of a difference. Samsung and Phillips are both good brands. You'll notice a big difference between 60hz and 120hz, but I don't know your budget. Also, the higher contrast ratio, the better.

LED's have a longer life than LCD's. The way they are lit (using led lights) use less power, and less wear on the actual tv.

Latest posts

Back