Getting a little woried!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinNewbie

So I adopted another chin last saturday! He was down in California, since the chin show was in washington she was able to bring him up to me. I know that it will take a bit to get use to me and he's new home, but I'm getting worried because he doesn't seem to be eating the pellets she gave me and not drinking the water (i have the water bottle with the float, and its in the same spot). He doesn't seem to want to come out of the hidey house i got him.
Now he does seem to be snacking on the hay and hay cubes. But I'm worried that he is going to be sick/deheydrated.

Any thoughts will be help me from stressing out and maybe able to sleep!!!!

You have had him for less than a week. Give him time to adjust to his new home and to you. Is he pooping and peeing? If so, then he is eating and drinking.

Have you checked that the water bottle is working? Sometimes they need a bit of a kick start to get them going - it's worth making sure that water is able to come out of the spout/nozzle.
If you're really worried that the chin has not been drinking then it is also worth opening up a raisin & rubbing the bottom of the water bottle spout with the inside of the raisin. The chin will be curious & go to the bottle to investigate & then start licking the spout, releasing some water.
If you do the raisin trick (it usually works first time so no need to do it again once the chin has the hang of it) then the water bottle needs a good clean (especially the spout) within 24 hours.

I agree with what Claire says. My worry would be that he hasn't got the hang of the water bottle or that it's not working properly. All too often regular water bottles like the super pet bottles tend to malfunction in the US. So check the water bottle.

Give him some time and offer unlimited hay until he gets his appetite up again. Have you started switching him over to your pellets yet?

Remember as well that you can ALWAYS email the breeder. I know who she is and I know she would answer your emails within minutes...freaking internet addict! :neener:

THank you Claire! Thank is a great idea and I'm going to try that tonight. I made sure before i put it in there that it was working, but I'll check again.

I tired to PM her last night before I posted the message, but her mail box was full. But she did get back to me like 5 minutes after I posted, she GREAT! Always there when I need her hope I'm not annoying her though. I'm a worry wart, really freak out easy. I just don't want to have him hurt or get sick.

Again THANK YOU :thanks4:

I agree with what Claire says. My worry would be that he hasn't got the hang of the water bottle or that it's not working properly. All too often regular water bottles like the super pet bottles tend to malfunction in the US. So check the water bottle.

Give him some time and offer unlimited hay until he gets his appetite up again. Have you started switching him over to your pellets yet?

Remember as well that you can ALWAYS email the breeder. I know who she is and I know she would answer your emails within minutes...freaking internet addict! :neener:

I know its been a while, but wanted to give a (VERY LATE) update...
Milo is doing great and drinking water, after trying the rasin on the tip of the water bottle and that not seeming to work, I decided to just get a new water bottle. And of course that was the issue... it wasn't giving him water. Even though every time I would try it, it seemed to work.
I still feel guilty for not just getting a new one sooner. :oops:

Back