Gatorade for chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiniiBamBam

Keeper of BamBam :D
I took my chinchilla to the vet for his diarrhea and he said that generally with chinchillas and rabbits antibiotics tend to make it worse so he told me to try and keep his food away from him, make sure the hay is still good and give him Gatorade ... at first i didnt think that was such a good idea but then i googled it and it said i can give it to him but whta kind!?! and in what quantities?!? please helpp!!

http://katiewilson.chinchillas.org/chinhealth.html

thats the web site i found the okay and here is the pasage

"Diarrhea

The most common cause of chinchilla intestinal problems is a sudden change in diet. If you must switch the type of food you give, try to do so gradually, so that the chinchilla gets used to the new food. Another common cause of diarrhea is too many treats! Chinchillas in the wild have a very fiber-rich, nutrient-poor diet. Their digestive system can't handle a diet high in sugar or fat. So, go easy with those raisins!

Diarrhea in chinchillas can also be caused by Giardia, Cryptosporidia or Coccidia infection. Each of these infectious causes must be diagnosed and treated by a veterinarian. The veterinarian will take a fresh stool sample for a fecal float. Treatment for diarrhea is mostly supportive. Give the chinchilla plenty of fluids, including pedialyte or gatorade to help replace electrolytes lost in diarrhea. These parasites can all infect other animals, including humans. To prevent the spread of infection, wash your hands thoroughly after handling a sick chinchilla. Once the infection is cleared up, disinfect the cage with a strong disinfectant. Wash the cage thoroughly and allow it to dry in direct sunlight, since ultraviolet light also kills bacteria. You should also disinfect all water bottles, and re-evaluate your water source. You may need to boil the water you give your chinchillas. Boiling will kill the parasites and their eggs, whereas chlorine and hydrogen peroxide do not kill their eggs"

First, how bad is the diarrhea? Has it been going on for some time? Are you talking about runny, liquid poop or just soft poop? Did the vet run a stool sample? Did he check for parasites? I have never had a chinchilla get worse diarrhea with antibiotics. Quite the opposite. Most chins tend to get a bit of constipation, especially with Baytril, because it puts them off their feed.

If it's just soft poop, I agree with some of what he said. I would pull all pellets, offer nothing but hay and reverse osmosis or filtered water. I wouldn't bother with boiling water because it doesn't remove everything. Wal-Mart has reverse osmosis water for .78 cents a gallon or you can get refillable jugs. I would also offer acidophilus in the high billion count or get some Bene-Bac from the vet or either PetSmart or Petco sells it (I can't remember which, maybe both).

If after a couple days the diarrhea hasn't cleared up, then he needs to see a vet that is knowledgeable about chins. You can use Pedialyte for chins, you just mix it in with their water, but I have never had to do this. I would also be hesitant to use this because all of those types of drinks have a good amount of sugar in them. If you're having a gut issue, I would be cautious about that. Unless it's parasite related, which cannot be cleared up without antibiotics (I don't care what your vet says), then just following what I posted above should help calm down the tummy. Chins can go for quite a while on just good quality hay if they need to.

Just out of curiosity - what type of pellet do you feed and where do you get your water from now?

I have only used it once since I can usually keep them hydrated, I used the unflavored pedialyte.

okay thank you, and im feeding him kaytee fiesta max with a mix of mazuri food. and the water is from my sink filtered threw a brita with a fresh filter in it. i have tryed acidopholus buut i wasnt really consistan with it. the stool is almost its normal shape but its sticky and squishes really easly. and yes the vet did take a stool sample and he said he didnt see any blood or parasites so he didnt believe it to be that serious.

i havent givin my chin any treats . im tryed giving him acidopholus and i jsut dont know what to do im not giving him his food right now just hay

the food mix i have beein giving him he has been eating for a while so i dont think its that and the water ive been giving him i also have been giving it to him for quite some time now and it has never bothered him. please help!

the chin still needs more hay and no pellets for now.. lots of hay. and is your vet chin knowledgable? Did he do bloodwork?

The food could be playing a big roll. Kaytee is crappy food and many chins get soft stools while eating Mazuri.

I agree - the food could have a big roll in the problem. I believe Kaytee fiesta has a lot of stuff in it besides the pellets that chins should NOT have. Give just hay for a few days and then just the Mazuri (cold switch). If then he again starts with the loose stools switch to Oxbow. Some people have problems with Mazuri and loose stools. I have used Mazuri for over 10 years and never had a problem with it

the chin still needs more hay and no pellets for now.. lots of hay. and is your vet chin knowledgable? Did he do bloodwork?

Chins don't need blood work for loose poo unless every avenue has been investigated and its a last resort. I think you are thinking of a fecal float.

okay i will try that, i didnt like the fiesta max either its just that when i drove 2 hours to get to petsmart to get the food he was on when i bought him they were no longer carrying it which really made me mad because BamBam really liked that food and they didnt have any thing that was just pelets except for mazuri which i had a ton at home because he didnt seem to eat itt which sucked.

and no the vet didnt do blood work, and i know he has delt with chinchillas before i brought mine to him..

I don't think I would do so many food changes, Kaytee, to Mazuri, to Oxbow. I would, again, stop all pellets and give nothing but hay for 3 or 4 days. I would get ahold of some BeneBac, which will probably be easier for you to give than acidophilus since it's in a syringe and ready to go (it's orally given), and I would order some Oxbow from Sandi on here. You only have one chin and she can send a priority box stuffed full of food for probably around what you're paying for the Kaytee and Mazuri.

With him already having problems, I just wouldn't play musical foods. I would let him clean his system out by eating the hay, and while he is eating the hay, your food should get there from Sandi and you can start him on that cold turkey.

ya i actually think they sell oxbow at a small pet store in town so i will check that out thanks =) and he is doing muchh better his stools are practiacallyy normal again and i can tell he is feeling better by the way he is acting =) he isnt so hostile and he is happier now =)

how is the brand sunseed?

Last edited by a moderator:
sunseed

I used to use sunseed and chins liked it then i found out that it wasn't that great for them...I use Purina Rabbit Show Chow..its $15 for a 50lb bag..they seem to like it and doing well on it..Tradition is another good brand to use...you can usually get PRSC at a feed mill or tractor supply co.

Sunseed is complete crap. The best chin food on the market, IMO, is Tradition. It was developed by a rancher specifically for chins. It will beat rabbit pellets hands down (and I use rabbit pellets) because it is formulated for chins. If you had access to it, I would say go with Tradition.

Good feeds:
Tradition
Oxbow
APD
Nutrena Naturewise 16%
Purina
and bottom of the list for me, because I don't care for it, is Mazuri.

It does sound like this was brought on by diet: the kaytee, mazuri, or changing foods too quickly.

Please try the hay, then find a good brand for your guy. Chinchilla digestive systems are more sensitive than many owners realize.

Latest posts

Back